Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glasweegeee's new series - Harrodsburg  (Read 12293 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Glasweegeee's new series - Harrodsburg
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 11:05:18 am »

So if you're loaded, what, apart from Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Aston Martin, Koenigsegg do you buy? Bugatti? Now that is ridiculous, as much so as McLaren! Obviously, you can't buy Mercedes, and Porsche is a little, well, pedestrian at best.
Why even buy a car? That's the most obviously banal thing to do when you get rich. Besides, they're all a bit useless for putting my bikes in.
Also if I want some speed thrills, a car is a bit lame when you are used to two wheels.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 11:07:20 am by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

jjj

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 11:06:45 am »

I remember those! My nephew had a red MR2 which he kept a short while - I think he found it difficult to understand the dynamics of mid-engine weight distribution. In reality, despite the X1/9's rotten power output, it was the car which I drove the fastest I ever drove any car. Took a motorway to get there, but it eventually did. I wouldn't have trusted a 911, even had I been able to afford one. Engineer however you may, a heavy tail is a pendulum in waiting. IMO!
A 911 is a triumph of engineering over design. ;)

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2015, 11:51:43 am »

A 911 is a triumph of engineering over design. ;)

The very worst Triumph design of them all was the TR7: front half half-designed by one person and the rear completely forgotten until too late.

Yuk! Worse yet in yellow.

Rob C

Jimbo57

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2015, 07:11:28 am »

That's a particularly modern definition of "journalism".

Not really.

There is no reason why photo-journalism should not be satirical. The writers of the fortnightly magazine "Private Eye" are every bit as much "journalists" as their contemporaries who contribute to the "straight" news media. (I placed "straight" in quotation marks because, obviously, it is as bent as a twisted kilt-pin.)

jjj

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2015, 07:16:23 am »

Not really.
There is no reason why photo-journalism should not be satirical. The writers of the fortnightly magazine "Private Eye" are every bit as much "journalists" as their contemporaries who contribute to the "straight" news media. (I placed "straight" in quotation marks because, obviously, it is as bent as a twisted kilt-pin.)
Indeed. Satire can get to the heart of the truth more adeptly than 'straight' journalism can most of the time.

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2015, 10:54:21 am »

Jimbo; jjj

I think 'satire' is a very euphemistic (if not optimistic) word for this stuff.

Rob C

jjj

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2015, 04:00:26 pm »

I was talking about satire in general, not Glasweegee.

Telecaster

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2015, 04:56:59 pm »

So if you're loaded, what, apart from Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, Aston Martin, Koenigsegg do you buy? Bugatti? Now that is ridiculous, as much so as McLaren! Obviously, you can't buy Mercedes, and Porsche is a little, well, pedestrian at best.

;-)

Maybe you understand that accumulating stuff & peacocking with it is an absurd & pointless activity. Not all men—and it is overwhelmingly men who engage in this—are 13 year olds in adult bodies.

Pro tip: for every wealthy fool with his Ferraris there's at least one more sensible person driving well under the radar.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2015, 05:08:30 pm »

Maybe you understand that accumulating stuff & peacocking with it is an absurd & pointless activity. Not all men—and it is overwhelmingly men who engage in this—are 13 year olds in adult bodies.

Pro tip: for every wealthy fool with his Ferraris there's at least one more sensible person driving well under the radar.

-Dave-

Oh well, must be nice to be poor like me and have a Fiesta; didn't know I was so lucky and accidentally hip. But, if I still had the X1/9 I could have driven under anything...!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:29:17 am by Rob C »
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up