Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5D exposure and Spitsbergen travel  (Read 5285 times)

Ebbe Pedersen

Canon 5D exposure and Spitsbergen travel
« on: March 26, 2006, 10:48:23 am »

In a week I am going to Spitsbergen. I shall meet challenges with condensation in relation to going in from outside with temperatures from -10 to -20 Celcius, battery in these temperatures and exposure in landscapes consisting of mainly snow and ice.
Can you give me good advice on how to deal with these challenges? I have a Canon 5D with a 24-105 mm L IS USM.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 02:41:11 pm »

In a week I am going to Spitsbergen. I shall meet challenges with condensation in relation to going in from outside with temperatures from -10 to -20 Celcius, battery in these temperatures and exposure in landscapes consisting of mainly snow and ice.
Can you give me good advice on how to deal with these challenges? I have a Canon 5D with a 24-105 mm L IS USM.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think that it should be much different from cold weather shooting anywhere, except with digital you don't have to worry about it being so cold your film shatters when you touch it!  When I was working up north, if the temperature was below -35 in the morning we wouldn't work because the heavy equipment would freeze up, but -32 with a -80 windchill was just another day.

Condensation is best dealt with by carrying a plastic bag or something that can be sealed and wrapping it around your camera. etc. before brining it inside.  Allow it to warm inside the bag before removing it.

Batteries can be more difficult to deal with.  Having a spare set or even two spare sets is best, and keep them close to your body when not in use so your body heat will keep them warm.  Flash cards too. Even the camera, if you're traveling outside can benefit from unzipping your parka a little and stuffing the camera body inside, even if the lens has to stick out.  Removing it from the tripod before doing so should be self evident.

One more thing about batteries - they will discharge more quickly if they're cold, but they also won't charge properly when they're cold.  Allow them to warm to room temperature before charging them.

Enjoy!!

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 02:55:45 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61053\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Don't worry, I was there last week with a 20D and a collegue used the same setup you are bringing (5D and 24-105).

On a one day snowmobile trip to Barentsburg i kept the camera in a backpack exposed to the cold the whole day  and never had to change the battery (tok about 100 + images), but i kept a spare battery in a warm pocket just in case. The camera wil get a layer of ice on the back and lcd whewn you breathe, but I never had a problem going in and out all the time the other days, just let it warm a bit when going inside before taking of the lens cap to avoid condensation.

If you want to be careful, put the camera in a plastic bag when going inside, as a cold camere will get some condensation, but going outside will not give you any problems.

Exposure: expose to the rigth, with images with mainly snow and ice I often ended up with a +2 exposere compensation.

Enjoy your trip, there are many photo opportunities there.  
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Ebbe Pedersen

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 09:56:57 am »

Thanks Mike and Ronny for sharing your experiences with me. It is helpful. And I am looking forward to this trip.
Regards

Ebbe

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 01:47:13 pm »

I have uploaded a few pictures from my last trip to Spistbergen on:

Svalbard 2006

Since I was there with work (I'm only an amateur) it's just a few snaphots taken between activities when I had the oportunity.

When I was there it was -20C, but usually it's warmer.
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Ebbe Pedersen

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 03:54:28 pm »

I have uploaded a few pictures from my last trip to Spistbergen on:

Svalbard 2006

Since I was there with work (I'm only an amateur) it's just a few snaphots taken between activities when I had the oportunity.

When I was there it was -20C, but usually it's warmer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=61200\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I liked your "just a few snapshots". Now I am looking even more foreward to my trip on sunday. I hope to bring back some snapshots. I have received both advice and inspiration. Thanks

Ebbe
Pages: [1]   Go Up