Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Normandy Bridge  (Read 648 times)

Dmullins

Normandy Bridge
« on: October 13, 2015, 04:41:01 pm »

Please share your thoughts.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Normandy Bridge
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 03:46:10 am »

It doesn't really work for me as it is. I think it would be better, given the title, without its bottom third.

Jeremy

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 04:06:45 am »

I agree, I can't see what reward I get for looking at the bottom third. It does give scale and context but I think it's too big as well.

francois

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 04:51:21 am »

As imposing as the Normandy bridge is, I seem to forget about it after a couple of seconds... my eyes go everywhere but don't stay on the bridge. I would try to frame it differently.
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 06:37:35 am »

I agree, I can't see what reward I get for looking at the bottom third. It does give scale and context but I think it's too big as well.

"Ask not what your country can do for you..."

;-)

Rob C

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 08:53:40 am »

Please share your thoughts.

A subtle warmth which I guess is due as much to a filter than natural conditions and to me the foreground is a vital part of the picture as it indicates the landscape from which the bridge arises. Including this element allows us to judge the bridge as part of the landscape rather than simply an engineering artifact.

Where is it BTW? I've biked round Normandy a wee bit over the years but can't recollect it, is it at Le Havre?

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 09:01:40 am »

The colors, tones, elements are really beautiful...and all make for a very nice image generally. That said, I probably would have tried shooting at a location a little to the right so the two bridge "pylons" have a little more separation...as is they are very close to being "unitized" in your frame...which I think is less successful...and prevents this from  being a really good image. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Dmullins

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 08:36:35 pm »

Justinr is correct about why I framed it the way I did.  The shot is not meant to depict purely the bridge, but show how it fits in with the landscape surrounding it. 

I did not use any filters in the post processing though, The image is close to the conditions of the scene with exception of perhaps the saturation in the field.  The image was shot raw using a Fujifilm Xpro-1. I pulled it into lightroom and did minor adjustments with the exception of setting the exposure to +0.83. I underexposed the shot in the field in an attempt to keep from blowing highlights. It was very hazy out and I wasn't sure how that would effect the low angle of the light. After the adjustments I applied the velvia film simulation (I suppose one could consider this a filter).

This is the original raw converted to jpeg through lightroom with no modifications. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up