Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7r2 files not exporting properly to DNG  (Read 8540 times)

JaapD

Re: Sony A7r2 files not exporting properly to DNG
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2015, 07:08:34 am »

Bart’s suggestion is very relevant and a good one, and it will work as long as you continue using C1 in future. My crystal ball is a bit misty, not showing me what I will use in 5-10 years time. I certainly would not want to process all those files then. That's why I want some kind of a 'universal' format.

I have no problems with 206Mb data files myself and storing 16bit TIFs gives me great ease of mind. And disk storage is cheap, you’ll get about 30.000 of your files on a 6Tb drive. This ‘no problem’ may have something to do with my past, needing to cope with 650Mb scanned slides (6x7cm, 4000 dpi, 16 bit).

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2015, 01:39:31 pm »

nothing wrong with using DNG as an intermediate format for data exchange... provided that you and your client are on the same version of raw converter (to interpret all parametric edits saved in DNG)
you probably mean not "access my files", but "access my parametric edits"  ::)

Just to clarify, DNG allows for storing a full-size jpg preview that includes any of the parametric edits.  With LR, those previews can updated at any time.  It also allows for storing multiple jpg previews, however options for viewing any particular preview are not fully there - I don't even know of any way to do so, myself - but it has support for such.

Also, someone mentioned that DNG files are compressed as if it's a bad thing.  By default, it is lossless compression.  There is a new lossy compression available, but I would not use it on any keepers - just on those ones you might delete otherwise, but can't bring yourself to do so. ;)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:50:32 pm by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 06:43:34 am »

Hi,

I do not understand that question. C1 is a parametric Raw converter and editor, until you save a final output file, just like e.g. Lightroom. There is no need to save TIFF output, unless you need to do other post-processing on the file that you cannot do in Capture One itself. You can simply re-generate an output file when the need arises, directly from the Raw file as a source.

Cheers,
Bart

I will be honest, I am still mystified as to why you want to add an additional unnecessary step to your workflow.

If your client is demanding RAW files, is it not fair you demand they view them in the application that shows them in the best light / what they were captured in????

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 07:30:08 am »

Is it fair to ask my client to buy a software, which isn't exactly cheap, only to view my files?
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

• Capture One
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 09:42:12 am »

Is it fair to ask my client to buy a software, which isn't exactly cheap, only to view my files?

I think if they insist on RAW data - you have every right too. They have obviously employed you for your skill and ability to deliver what they require for their product, which I think gives you some rights too. ;)

Just my opinion.

David Grover

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 10:01:08 am »

But what is it that your customer wants to view? A works-in-progress which can still go many different ways (=Raw in an editor), or an example of the result (or several variants)? For the latter a JPEG will probably suffice, but I do not know your customer's specifics...

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 01:35:12 pm »

In your case, Capture One Express for Sony should fit the bill. It is free of charge and allows your client to review your raw files plus adjustments. For a minor investment they can buy the Pro for Sony.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 02:34:35 pm »

Hi,

Once you convert to TIFF you are loosing data. Just to say, I have 70000 files and I am just an amateur shooter. You also need at least three copies for safe backup, I would. Proper DNG is a very good way to save data.

Another point is that DNG is just a version of TIFF and TIFF is owned by Adobe, anyway. All TIFFs are not correct and there is little guarantee you can read a specific TIFF in twenty years.

Best regards
Erik

Bart’s suggestion is very relevant and a good one, and it will work as long as you continue using C1 in future. My crystal ball is a bit misty, not showing me what I will use in 5-10 years time. I certainly would not want to process all those files then. That's why I want some kind of a 'universal' format.

I have no problems with 206Mb data files myself and storing 16bit TIFs gives me great ease of mind. And disk storage is cheap, you’ll get about 30.000 of your files on a 6Tb drive. This ‘no problem’ may have something to do with my past, needing to cope with 650Mb scanned slides (6x7cm, 4000 dpi, 16 bit).
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:32:10 am by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

• Capture One
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 02:41:07 pm »

In your case, Capture One Express for Sony should fit the bill. It is free of charge and allows your client to review your raw files plus adjustments. For a minor investment they can buy the Pro for Sony.

Thats a great idea Paul
David Grover
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up