Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider 28 LS disappointment  (Read 1759 times)

gregoricivera

Schneider 28 LS disappointment
« on: October 10, 2015, 02:59:21 pm »

Hi there, I've been an Alpa Max user for 3,5 years now. First using an Aptus 75S (superb back, specially when combined with the latest versions of C1) and recently with an Aptus 12. Lenses I use are the Rodesntocks HR 40 and 70 mm. Fantastic setting for my architectural photography. As it happens, I'm in the need for a wider lens good enough to handle an 80mpx back. The natural option would be buying the rodie 32mm HR but for now it is not an option due to the cost. So I got offered a brand new Schneider 28 LS that I've been testing on Mamiya 645 DF+. I though it could be an option although I absolutely hate the idea of correcting perspective in PS, because it will only be used occasionally. Well, I found it very disappointing in terms of quality, difficult to focus (I use a Leica laser and high precision focusing rings with the Alpa). Maybe I'm spoiled and I take the ALPA / Rodenstock quality for granted now, or maybe the unit I'm testing is not 100% good, it's happened me before.
Any of you using ALPA and this Schneider  28 LS? Any info will be much appreciated. I know they're totally different lens designs, but still it is supposed to be s great lens.
Thanks

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Schneider 28 LS disappointment
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 03:44:56 pm »

It's really not a fair comparison between a technical camera and a MF DSLR, particularly on the wide end.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 05:00:39 pm »

The 28LS is not one of Phase/Schneiders best lenses. In general you can't expect an SLR wide which has been designed to clear a large mirror box to compare to one designed without that constraint (i.e. tech camera lenses).

One exception is  the Schneider 35LS which can absolutely compare to the 32HR in quality. But that doesn't get you much wider than your 40HR.

The 28HR would be an alternative which is excellent optically and not as expensive as the 32HR.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:29:31 pm by Doug Peterson »

gregoricivera

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 07:06:53 am »

Thank you Ken and Doug, as I said in my message, I know they're totally different lens designs and thus not comparable at all. But they're both solutions for the same need, so I compare. The 28 HR, is great but almost as expensive as the 32 and the image circle is much smaller. And for that price, you'd wanna use movements ;). See if I find any 28 HR or 32 HR used-
Greg

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 04:22:46 pm »

Thank you Ken and Doug, as I said in my message, I know they're totally different lens designs and thus not comparable at all. But they're both solutions for the same need, so I compare. The 28 HR, is great but almost as expensive as the 32 and the image circle is much smaller. And for that price, you'd wanna use movements ;). See if I find any 28 HR or 32 HR used-
Greg

Greg - Paul Caldwell may still have his 28HR available, which includes the Center Filter:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=102565.0

It is in Arca Swiss R Mount, and so would need to be re-mounted in Alpa helical, which will add a pretty penny ($2K +), but you still wind up nearly $2,000 less than a new one. And perhaps $2,500 less than the 32HR (hard to find used 32HR lenses ....).

Just a thought.

Or, you bite the bullet and buy that 32HR,  you know you want it.  :)

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 07:31:54 am »

Steve:

Thanks for the kind words.  28HR is still available. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up