Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Obsolescence Be Damned! - LuLa Article  (Read 11660 times)

FMueller

Re: Obsolescence Be Damned! - LuLa Article
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2015, 11:44:03 pm »

Nothing the matter with upgrading equipment or even changing systems. Some very good, and very successful photographers have a good command of more than one camera system, Dan Winters comes to mind first but there are others.

My personal experience is that during a period of changing equipment, very little good work gets done. I need time to acclimate. Once it becomes my familiar toolset (or set of brushes), then I start seeing work I like again... That alone is good incentive to avoid churning through gear.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2015, 11:49:49 pm »

My D200 and D700 in thirty years time... ? I sure won't be viable, before anyone hastens to point that out as a factor. ;-)
Rob C

Worry not, keep your lenses! In twenty years, you'll be able to upgrade to a gently used D810 or 7rII for $100.

Rob C

« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2015, 06:29:23 am »

Worry not, keep your lenses! In twenty years, you'll be able to upgrade to a gently used D810 or 7rII for $100.

Les, at best I'll be a speck on someone's sensor! Which is a wonderful opportunity, now that I think about it!

;-)

Rob C

AlfSollund

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2015, 07:25:18 am »

I fully understand the author. The question we should ask ourself is; Do we get RoI (return of investment) for each increment between upgrades? Our personal RoI should give us more either pleasure than irritation or less time spent on workflow than upgrade/learning time from each upgrade. I kind of doubt that we have such RoI? Instead the industry convinces us somehow that we need these upgrades and the social groups pressures us to do the upgrading.

The solution? F*ck if I know  :). Perhaps a brain wetware upgrade?
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

graeme

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2015, 04:58:28 pm »

At some point every artist needs to stop monkeying around with the latest tech and get down to the business of making art. It's a full time gig right there.

I agree, but at the time it's sometimes difficult to decide whether you're learning something which will be relevant to your art or are in fact just 'monkeying around'.

Easy to tell with hindsight though.

Rob C

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2015, 04:03:53 am »

This seems a good point at which to make the following quotation from an interview by John Paul Caponigro with Richard Benson, the latter speaking:

"The difference between an artist and a craftsman is that a craftsman is interested in his/her tools and an artist disdains them."

Rob C

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2015, 06:22:22 am »

This seems a good point at which to make the following quotation from an interview by John Paul Caponigro with Richard Benson, the latter speaking:

"The difference between an artist and a craftsman is that a craftsman is interested in his/her tools and an artist disdains them."
Says a man who writes about how to use Photoshop. JPG that is.
It's nonsense anyway as most good artists will seek out the best tools to create whatever it is they want to do.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

PeterKelly

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2015, 09:19:21 am »

It seems there are two strands to the same discussion and I don't think the two are necessarily equitable.
There is the camera gear and then there is the development software.

Certainly the former has changed dramatically in pure technology, but at its core is still exactly the same. The latter, though, is entirely different.
I don't see how you could successfully avoid embracing the software and 'back end' changes as sometimes the physical equipment requires it, but it also opens endless new avenues and possibilities.

However, upgrading cameras does not require a 'sea change' in working methods. If you approach from an empirical perspective it is actually very easy. After all, all you need to do is pick the right lens, set the parameters of exposure and make sure the right part is in focus!

I think too many get hung up on menus and shortcuts. They can help speed things if that is of vital importance, but I just ignore the majority and carry on as I always did. In many respects, the part I have accepted (the treadmill of software and computers) has allowed me to do that with impunity, because you can shoot in RAW and leave the precise choices until later.

gbdz

fighting the mass effect
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2015, 01:13:36 pm »

Only a very small percentage of the modern silicon and glass mass is bought by artists or professionals.  People who produce the mass of 'content' visible on various photo and equipment sites are like me, people with a daytime job and time and money to spare.  The market is always right in the modern world.  The market says that new is good or at least better than old whether we talk about cars or cameras or other electronics.  Wines and vintage stuff are an exception but they are for the rich snobs. Collectors, moneymen and the like.

I do not envy people who are making their daily bread & butter doing photography. Nowadays everybody who counts is an art director and a designer or producing 'content' on the Net. Those who get clicks get ad money and they survive. Those who click are not more qualified than anybody else. They like fast food and American TV-series. They listen to commercial radio channels and buy their essentially identical clothes from 'outlets' or Net stores.  Money cattle, horses.

Quality has become a scarce commodity that is reserved for connoisseurs with money and to those who can create it themselves.
An illusion of having the capability to be able to create quality can be bought. That's why most people buy their Leicas and Nikons and their fluorite glass, vests, harnesses and Billingham bags.  You carry quality around your neck with the belief that it is contagious.

Quality can be taught and learned. Artistry cannot, which is very unfair and against the egalitarian ideals of the modern society.
Which brings us to the 'why' of the hamster wheel hystery of luxury gadget consumerism. Creativity is grossly overestimated in our popular culture. This is because whe are shown people who have risen from nobodies to Vevo and MTV, Pirelli and Elle and what have you, who make millions and fly their private jets from one of their private island to another.

People want to emulate creativity. Some decades ago everybody wanted to be a journalist or a secret agent. Now kids play war games, racing pilots and guitar heroes...other superheroes as well. My generation (I am 63 soon) grew up in a world where photographers were superheroes (at least to some of us)  and somehow this has stuck. Of course most of us had economical realities pointing us towards something that would create steady income with our particular set of abilities of which graphic arts often were not the most notable.

The dreams never died. "What could I achieve if I had a Real Camera with a big lense and a thorough user's manual"...
We are basically the reason why there are prosumer cameras with enough pixels to print high quality murals and lenses to match them.
Would the artists or the sports and the fashion guys ever had created enough cash flow to finance the deluge of optoelectronics that floods the marketplace today? Not likely, but the masses could.

And that's how we are here.
Sorry, a rant. I am stuck at work and there is very little to do.  Potato.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2015, 06:07:36 pm »

It seems there are two strands to the same discussion and I don't think the two are necessarily equitable.
There is the camera gear and then there is the development software.

Certainly the former has changed dramatically in pure technology, but at its core is still exactly the same. The latter, though, is entirely different.
I don't see how you could successfully avoid embracing the software and 'back end' changes as sometimes the physical equipment requires it, but it also opens endless new avenues and possibilities.

However, upgrading cameras does not require a 'sea change' in working methods. If you approach from an empirical perspective it is actually very easy. After all, all you need to do is pick the right lens, set the parameters of exposure and make sure the right part is in focus!

I think too many get hung up on menus and shortcuts. They can help speed things if that is of vital importance, but I just ignore the majority and carry on as I always did. In many respects, the part I have accepted (the treadmill of software and computers) has allowed me to do that with impunity, because you can shoot in RAW and leave the precise choices until later.
Spot on.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

bassman51

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2015, 06:59:31 pm »

I think there's a big difference between choosing to get a new tool ("I really want more pixels ...") vs. being more or less forced to upgrade because something in your ecosystem no longer works with something else (your PP software no longer works on the new OS you had to install because you needed a new computer because your old one died, and you can't get security updates on the old OS anymore, ...). 

In the former, we all get to choose. Happy with your tools? Excellent!   Want a new whizz-bang? Terrific!

In the latter, we all grumble - more or even more - and then just need to get on with it. 
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

image66

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2015, 12:33:13 am »

When would you suggest I upgrade from my Olympus E-1?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up