Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom for mobile now free.  (Read 3633 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Lightroom for mobile now free.
« on: October 08, 2015, 12:57:04 pm »

Seemingly overlooked in all the recent LR hoo-haa was this announcement
Lightroom for mobile for iOS can now be used on your phone or tablet without a paid membership

I tried it a while back and just like the now defunct mobile PS attempt, it showed how behind Adobe was when it came to mobile apps.
So not really bothered with it.

Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Re: Lightroom for mobile now free.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 01:57:32 pm »

I tried it on the trial version and was unimpressed as well.

I was hoping for a solution to being on the road and wanting to do quick edits on an iPad. But having to download images to my computer first makes that kind of useless.
-MattB

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 02:54:41 pm »

Seemingly overlooked in all the recent LR hoo-haa was this announcement
Lightroom for mobile for iOS can now be used on your phone or tablet without a paid membership

I tried it a while back and just like the now defunct mobile PS attempt, it showed how behind Adobe was when it came to mobile apps.
So not really bothered with it.

I use it daily. It even has the HSL/B&W adjustments and a targeted adjustment tool now. It's still unbalanced with too few Library-type features.

Also largely-overlooked is that you can make some adjustments and crop in a browser window. You log into your https://lightroom.adobe.com/ account.

gbdz

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 02:25:58 pm »

It's been only two weeks that I have an iPhone. Stupid me.
the screen is too small for my eyes and my fingers to get anything relevant done in the way of post processing with the LR and also...the Adobe customer care...my free version expired and as I tried to sign in with my Adobe account there was absolutely no way to get the LR portable connected to the LR desktop because you'd need (that's what I figured) a CC version which is not available here in the Indian Ocean. My fuse with the Adobe politics has worn very short.  Plus I see no reason to strive for something I do not need.

I really like the iPhone. You can post very artsy shots directly to Instagram, Twitter and Tumbler. Way cool.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 02:50:08 pm »

I tried it on the trial version and was unimpressed as well.
I was hoping for a solution to being on the road and wanting to do quick edits on an iPad. But having to download images to my computer first makes that kind of useless.
Absolutely worthless IMHO, +1, massive waste of engineering resources (much like the new and awful Import dialog).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 03:18:55 pm »

It's been only two weeks that I have an iPhone. Stupid me.
the screen is too small for my eyes and my fingers to get anything relevant done in the way of post processing with the LR and also...the Adobe customer care...my free version expired and as I tried to sign in with my Adobe account there was absolutely no way to get the LR portable connected to the LR desktop because you'd need (that's what I figured) a CC version which is not available here in the Indian Ocean. My fuse with the Adobe politics has worn very short.  Plus I see no reason to strive for something I do not need.

I really like the iPhone. You can post very artsy shots directly to Instagram, Twitter and Tumbler. Way cool.

The free version stays free until you sign in. That is why your free version expired - you had switched to the CC version by signing in. It does tell you this quite clearly, though I missed it and I can understand why others might too.

Like you I am relatively new to having an iPhone (in fact any smart phone), and I find LrM's main virtue on the iPhone is to simplify the process of getting photos and video into my main catalogue. They just sync automatically without my doing anything at all. Apart from that, my main use of LrM has always been to show people pictures wherever I happen to be - eg handing them the phone, or via Apple TV. Unlike on the iPad, where it's my second most common task, I don't do many pick flags or ratings on the phone. And I do fewer adjustments or serious tasks on the iPhone than I do on the iPad, though on each device I only regard them as broad brush, saving time for when I'm in front of a proper computer.

gbdz

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 12:25:17 am »

The free version stays free until you sign in. That is why your free version expired - you had switched to the CC version by signing in. It does tell you this quite clearly, though I missed it and I can understand why others might too.

Negative. To connect my bought single shot version to the LR mobile I have to sign in, there is no other way. And that's what cranks my gears with Adobe, they are pushing me a product that is not available in my area.  We do not have CC coverage here.  Buying the single-shot LR6 was quite a stunt. The French customer service did not know how to do it. I am honest here, I called them. Then I called the Finnish service, opened a 'virgin' Adobe account and finally got the SW. 
Adobe is very, very strange.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 03:39:36 am »

Negative. To connect my bought single shot version to the LR mobile I have to sign in, there is no other way. And that's what cranks my gears with Adobe, they are pushing me a product that is not available in my area.  We do not have CC coverage here. 

That is consistent with what I said. Lightroom Mobile's "freemium" version does not connect to Lr6 Standalone, only to CC. If you sign in, the "freemium" version thinks you are a CC subscriber. To use the "freemium" version, you can sign out of Lightroom Mobile. But you've obviously got a whole range of problems fitting your circumstances into Adobe's subscription straitjacket.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 03:42:04 am »

That is consistent with what I said. Lightroom Mobile's "freemium" version does not connect to Lr6 Standalone, only to CC.
As you need to be a subscriber to do anything with the app, how can be "free" ?

Manoli

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 03:55:22 am »

As you need to be a subscriber to do anything with the app, how can be "free" ?

You don't need to be a subscriber nor do you need to have an Adobe ID or sign-in on the latest Lr Mobile. Just open the app, load and save to camera roll.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:00:08 am by Manoli »

Rhossydd

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 04:01:34 am »

You don't need to sign-in on the latest Lr Mobile. Just open the app, load and save to camera roll.
The only options I saw when opening the app on Android were 'sign in' or 'sign up' I just uninstalled it. There are plenty of other image editors for Android.

Manoli

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 04:13:44 am »

The only options I saw when opening the app on Android were 'sign in' or 'sign up' I just uninstalled it. There are plenty of other image editors for Android.

I doubt Android is different to IOS.
If you have signed in or 'up' and you don't want the CC connection - just delete the app, download it again, choose 'camera roll' or the cam icon at the bottom of the screen and ignore the 'sign-in/up' option.

Rhossydd

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 04:16:43 am »

choose 'camera roll' or the cam icon at the bottom of the screen and ignore the 'sign-in/up' option.
There's no 'camera roll' on Android.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 04:30:47 am »

OK, this conversation was specifically about iPhones. That freemium feature isn't on Android yet.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 04:51:51 am by john beardsworth »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 05:47:08 am »

Of note - I had to sign in yesterday on iOS to use the new Photoshop Fix and LR Mobile when I decided to see if things had improved with Adobe mobile apps.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

gbdz

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 02:40:44 pm »

That is consistent with what I said. Lightroom Mobile's "freemium" version does not connect to Lr6 Standalone, only to CC. If you sign in, the "freemium" version thinks you are a CC subscriber. To use the "freemium" version, you can sign out of Lightroom Mobile. But you've obviously got a whole range of problems fitting your circumstances into Adobe's subscription straitjacket.

Frankly, I do have some telepathic skills but thus far I have not used them to find out what the various net pages of Adobe Marketing  Dpt. think of what I am entitled to buy or take advantage of. I am sorry and embarrassed but these things used to work much better some years ago. It seems that the system has been invaded by people who have the 'Soviet Soul' , like 'it is not possible unless proved otherwise".

I have a bit of a difficulty to understand why anybody with a lucrative product would go out of his way to make it as difficult as possible for his potential, paying clients to get a hold of it.

I know something about the Soviet Union and why it fell.
If Adobe falls, I will not be surprised.
Pages: [1]   Go Up