Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hahnemuhle papers--dialogue  (Read 2091 times)

raymond bleesz

Hahnemuhle papers--dialogue
« on: October 03, 2015, 12:29:31 pm »

I would like to have a dialogue with fellow members of the forum who might use the Hahnemuhle papers on a regular basis--both color & BW--Raymond

bleeszr@comcast.net

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
Re: Hahnemuhle papers--dialogue
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 12:41:26 pm »

That is the whole idea behind the forum thing, a place for conversation and exchange of ideas and opinions.
But you have to actually start the conversation instead of just ask for people to talk about a subject.  :P

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 01:33:56 pm »

Also do a search on particular Hahnemuhle papers, there has been so much posted over the years here.

raymond bleesz

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 12:04:30 pm »

So I take it that both of you use Hahnemuhle papers or other wise why would you be answers this post?

I have been a user of Ilford paper (Harman) both darkroom & digital for a lengthy period of time. Presently I am using Harman Gloss FB AL gloss baryta for my fine art printing. I am perhaps moving into the Hahnemuhle papers.

Recently, the rep sent me several packages of various Hahnemuhle papers--specifically German Etching, Fine Pearl, Photo Rag Bright and Photo Rag.  I am not a master printer by no means. Since the papers arrive this past week, I have profiled the German Etching paper and have made several prints.  I have discovered or I believe, that this paper, so nice as it is, does not work for the imagery that I make, so I will not go forward with this paper.

Do any of you use this paper? What are your results, observations, type of work/style used for this paper---ie. your comments about this paper.

I have but one print from the next paper I am trying which is Fine Pearl, so I can not at this time make observations other than it is more pleasing to me for my work than the German Etching. Later this week I will run through the sample and I will have further comments regarding this paper.

But again, the same questions re: Fine Pearl

A dialogue about Hahnemuhle papers---Raymond[img]

Sbarroso

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 02:51:28 pm »

Raymond,

For the little amount of info I read here, I would say you may like better the glossy papers from Hahnemühle. They have a broad range. (almost) All of them are excellent papers. You only have to check which one you like the most, and if you can live with OBA papers or not.

I do work mostly with HM silk baryta (= Ilford gallery fiber silk, canson baryta photographique, etc....). It´s a low-content OBA paper that can satisfy most of the people who worked in the darkroom. It´s also the most affordable of the high-quality papers.

My second choice nowadays is the new HM baryta satin. Quite warm paper, nice price, very smooth surface, not a matte papper but dimmed gloss.  No OBA.

Rag Baryta is the most expensive. I also use it sometimes. Very glossy for this kind of paper (but nothing RC like). The surface, although smooth, is more textured, especially visible in small prints. It´s less warm than the baryta satin, but more than its Canson direct competitor (Platine Fibre Rag).

Rag Pearl is also a very nice option without OBA. With OBA is the Fine Art Pear and the Fine Art Baryta, both cold bright- white, but some will find there a wow! because its brightness. Last (and least...), "Baryta FB", has a weird magenta tone and very high OBA content and its a no-go for many (including me).

If I want more glossy, almost RC like but without exaggeration, then I go for the Harman by Hahnemühle Glossy Baryta. With OBA, but nice for some lanscapes or motives that need a bit of pop effect.

I do also like the matte HM Rag, but only for certain pictures.
I still have to find a picture that benefits from a highly textured paper like german etching. Not my taste. I guess it´s more for people that come from other art discipines than for those coming from darkroom.

Santi

na goodman

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 03:03:14 pm »

So I take it that both of you use Hahnemuhle papers or other wise why would you be answers this post?

I have been a user of Ilford paper (Harman) both darkroom & digital for a lengthy period of time. Presently I am using Harman Gloss FB AL gloss baryta for my fine art printing. I am perhaps moving into the Hahnemuhle papers.

Recently, the rep sent me several packages of various Hahnemuhle papers--specifically German Etching, Fine Pearl, Photo Rag Bright and Photo Rag.  I am not a master printer by no means. Since the papers arrive this past week, I have profiled the German Etching paper and have made several prints.  I have discovered or I believe, that this paper, so nice as it is, does not work for the imagery that I make, so I will not go forward with this paper.

Do any of you use this paper? What are your results, observations, type of work/style used for this paper---ie. your comments about this paper.

I have but one print from the next paper I am trying which is Fine Pearl, so I can not at this time make observations other than it is more pleasing to me for my work than the German Etching. Later this week I will run through the sample and I will have further comments regarding this paper.

But again, the same questions re: Fine Pearl

I use German Etching  both for my own work and for clients. That being said the subject matter is generally reproduction work for artists that manly do watercolor so it is a perfect paper for them. You do have to make sure to dust before using because it does flake. But, it is a beautiful paper to print on.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 06:19:26 am »

Why just Hahnemule?

They going to sponser/subsidize you?

I've used lots of Hahnemule papers...there are some projects that German Etching worked for...but generally I've found the texture to course for most of my work.

That said...I've mostly switched to Canson since starting to print myself. Why is hard to articulate.

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:27:45 am »

My favorite paper is HM photo rag baryta. It's 100% cotton rag with no OBAs. It is expensive. I like using Ilford Gold Fiber Silk for printing wide-gamut high-acutance files. Epson Ultra Premium Luster is a nice RC paper, although it is slightly blueish. As far as MK papers, I love Epson Natural Hot Press (I rarely use it, but when the right image comes along, it delivers beautiful results). I am printing with an Epson 7890.

raymond bleesz

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 06:31:56 pm »

Sbarroso---thank you for you response--

(If I want more glossy, almost RC like but without exaggeration, then I go for the Harman by Hahnemühle Glossy Baryta. With OBA, but nice for some lanscapes or motives that need a bit of pop effect)

In my original post I failed to post that I use the ( Harman by Hahnemühle Glossy Baryta) as well.  I have been very pleased with this, but I am looking for something that is not glossy, has high bw contrast---the Gold Silk looked promising, however, I understand it is being fazed out.

More dialogue.  R.

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 07:20:09 pm »

the Gold Silk looked promising, however, I understand it is being fazed out.

No, it is not. It is back again.
Anyway, if you like Ilford GFS you should try the Canson Baryta Photographique and the Hahnemühle Photo Silk Baryta.
Pages: [1]   Go Up