Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad CFV50 v. CFV50c?  (Read 3761 times)

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Hasselblad CFV50 v. CFV50c?
« on: November 02, 2015, 03:27:58 pm »

I really like the colors that my CFV50 produces, but I hate the small LCD on the back and that I don't have Live View to check focus.

Now Hassy has come out with a CMOS back, the CFV50c.

I am concerned that the colors may not be as good as the CCD sensor in the CFV50.

Anyone have experience with the two backs?

Thanks.

Joe Towner

Re: Hasselblad CFV50 v. CFV50c?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 10:02:21 pm »

My understanding is that the color out of the CCD and CMOS backs should match - it's applying Hasselblads color formula with the sensor readout.  Find your dealer of choice and they should be able to help you out. 
t: @PNWMF

torger

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 03:08:54 am »

I spoke to Hasselblad when the CFV 50c came out and asked them if the article from Ming Thein was accurate about the 50c not being 16bit but being 14bit and up sampling to 16bit.
Their reply at that time was no it was not 16 bit and yes it was 14 bit up sampled to 16bit.

I emailed them recently as the CFV 50c's specs specifically state it is true 16 bit and asked the same question, this time I was told yes it is true 16bit.

Which one of those is correct?

The sensor does the ADC and it's 14 bit so it's 14 bit, but it's still less noisy than all "16 bit" CCDs. The 16 bit advantage is a myth and has always been, the last 4 bits or so is just plain noise. It's unfortunate that there's still dealers that uses this false marketing.

The origin of the 16 bit myth is probably that they wanted some simplified way to describe why color is better on the MFD, and "16 bit color" sounded like something customers would understand. However the reason was never that.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 03:12:01 am by torger »

torger

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 03:02:41 am »

So CCD's are true 16 bit and CMOS sensors are 14 bit up sampled?

I've just done a photo test of Phocus vs Lightroom on Hasselblad Files, as well as Canon to Hasselblad files, there does appear to be a slight difference in Colour definition between my Canon and Hasselblad files. With the Hasselblad appearing to have slightly more colours in them. Well to me anyhow.
Phocus_Vs_Lightroom

Canon has lagged behind in raw sensor image quality and still do if we consider the noise aspect. Today with the 5Ds they're lagging behind less, but still a fair bit behind the latest Sony sensors. That's why so many are using say the A7rII with adapters on Canon glass. In other words Canon is not a great role model if you want to see what the best CMOS can do today.

With CCDs the sampling is not on the chip, but outside and there 16 bit analog-to-digital converters (ADC) have been used. With lots of noise. Some formats have stored the noise (like Hassy 3FR) some has not (like Phase One IIQ). With CMOS the ADC sits directly on chip (lower noise), and nowadays they're 14 bit with incredibly low noise, so no they're not "upsampled".

Comparing colors are tricky as what you see is more the effect of the profile and color filters on the sensor than anything else. Although noise have some effect, all fairly recent sensors have low enough noise to not be a significant factor concerning color in well-exposed areas.
Pages: [1]   Go Up