Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7RII Review - Dynamic Range...  (Read 12631 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Sony A7RII Review - Dynamic Range...
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2015, 05:39:26 am »

Amen to that !

I think these discussion will not stop any time soon :) I'm on my way to the Dolomites again and Erik is joining me in the Eastern part and then we can compare the Sony with the D810 and 5Ds R in reality. I think we may be too obsessed with the amazing views that we forget about the technicalities... At least if we have great weather.  :D

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2015, 06:22:03 am »

I think these discussion will not stop any time soon :) I'm on my way to the Dolomites again and Erik is joining me in the Eastern part and then we can compare the Sony with the D810 and 5Ds R in reality. I think we may be too obsessed with the amazing views that we forget about the technicalities... At least if we have great weather.  :D
I'm sure you'll find both cameras will work just fine.  You know how much I love that area.  Your images will be spectacular how could they not be.  Go have fun taking pictures.

Kevin
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

dreed

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2015, 02:21:41 pm »

I'm sure you'll find both cameras will work just fine.  You know how much I love that area.  Your images will be spectacular how could they not be.  Go have fun taking pictures.

It is a great area! I've just come out of there - lost the last day to bad weather (and by bad I mean cloud level at 5000'.) I didn't think it was very photographically well known until I found a group of photographers by the roadside at Sella Pass on one evening and roadside at Giau Pass on another!

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2015, 04:14:19 pm »

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, so far both camera worked fine on the first afternoon (no surprise, of course). Attached one shot during the 5 minutes it took the sun to get out from the cloud layer and down below the mountains. This was with the D810 at ISO 64, 1/320s, f/8, 70mm using the Nikon 70-200 f/4 VR (lighter than the Sony FE 70-200 f/4 :)). Metering highlight weighted with +1EV adjustment. Post processed in Lightroom exposure +1.9, shadows +100, highlights -100, whites 0, blacks -31 and a few more things. It was shot a Passo Giau near the hotel I use outside of Cortina. It's also near this lovely church you loved so much.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2015, 04:17:17 pm »

It is a great area! I've just come out of there - lost the last day to bad weather (and by bad I mean cloud level at 5000'.) I didn't think it was very photographically well known until I found a group of photographers by the roadside at Sella Pass on one evening and roadside at Giau Pass on another!

The Dolomites not photographically known? I'm running my photo workshop number 14 and 15 in the Dolomites in the coming two weeks. There are many photographers who post pictures from the Dolomites. Just check 500px.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2015, 04:27:09 pm »

.... I think we may be too obsessed with the amazing views that we forget about the technicalities...
Thanks Kevin, so far both camera worked fine on the first afternoon (no surprise, of course). Attached one shot during the 5 minutes it took the sun to get out from the cloud layer and down below the mountains. This was with the D810 at ISO 64, 1/320s, f/8, 70mm using the Nikon 70-200 f/4 VR (lighter than the Sony FE 70-200 f/4 :)). Metering highlight weighted with +1EV adjustment. Post processed in Lightroom exposure +1.9, shadows +100, highlights -100, whites 0, blacks -31 and a few more things...   
Speaking about technicalities... Try this photo with a Canon 5dsr and spot the differences.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2015, 04:40:01 pm »

Speaking about technicalities... Try this photo with a Canon 5dsr and spot the differences.

Actually I forgot to mention that there was a grad filter also dragged up from the bottom and to just under the sun of +0.5EV.

There is no competition between the D810 and 5Ds R! However I did another shot with the 5Ds R with the 100-400 attached. This one was also edited similarly with +1.4EV exposure, highlights -100, shadows +100, whites 0, blacks -17. A grad filter also with +0.5EV. In this shot I did not include the sun since I had walked away from the car and only had the 100-400 on the Canon and the 70-200 on the Nikon. No time to go back. There is no noise in either shots in 1:1 on my MacBook Pro retina screen.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2015, 05:16:43 pm »

Just kidding:)
Both photos look great!
Last time i was walking in the dolomites near Cortina one of the cinque torri collapsed.
Very nice mountains indeed but not much surface water to drink!
I just came back from Valmalenco, south of the Bernina mountain.
Every year i just have to spend some time in the italian alps.
It is the mountans and the people.
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2015, 05:21:30 pm »

Just kidding:)
Both photos look great!
Last time i was walking in the dolomites near Cortina one of the cinque torri collapsed.
Very nice mountains indeed but not much surface water to drink!
I just came back from Valmalenco, south of the Bernina mountain.
Every year i just have to spend some time in the italian alps.
It is the mountans and the people.

It seems we share a passion :) When walking under the Tre Cime (which I will tomorrow morning) I have been thinking where I would take cover if some of that structure Collapsed! The snow will probably disappear soon, but a nice addition to a landscape that is already breathtaking in many places.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up