Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H3DII 50  (Read 1372 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Hasselblad H3DII 50
« on: September 19, 2015, 11:03:31 am »

What are the pros and cons of this model? There are too many Blads to keep up with.
Mike

Christoph B.

Re: Hasselblad H3DII 50
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 01:11:49 pm »

From what I remember when I used the H3D it was a bit bugged, not quite as stable as I had hoped. Quite a lot of 'random' error messages and weird behaviour when the buffer was full.

That being said - it seems that it was due to a buggy firmware and they corrected most problems with the latest firmware for the H3D-System.
However, most people would rather got for the H4D, as it was (presumably) much more stable and reliable.

landscapephoto

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 01:20:05 am »

It is very similar to the H4D-50, with the following differences:
-no true focus
-no electronic level
-rear LCD has half the resolution.

epines

• ethan pines photography
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 06:45:38 pm »

From what I remember when I used the H3D it was a bit bugged, not quite as stable as I had hoped. Quite a lot of 'random' error messages and weird behaviour when the buffer was full.

That being said - it seems that it was due to a buggy firmware and they corrected most problems with the latest firmware for the H3D-System.
However, most people would rather got for the H4D, as it was (presumably) much more stable and reliable.

I used an H3DII-39 for several years and found it to be very stable, tethered or untethered. It was a great camera. Traded it in recently for an H5D50, which is also doing very nicely and is a great upgrade. Pros and cons of the H3DII-50? It all depends on what you're comparing it to, and what your knowledge level is. I could tell you that it's big and heavy, and that it's noisier at high ISOs than Canon/Nikon/etc, but you probably know that. Some pros and cons:

Pros:
- Large sensor (37x49) at what is probably now a very attractive price
- Large viewfinder. Totally different way of working vs 35mm.
- Great series of lenses. Easy rental availability.
- Syncs at all speeds, up to 1/800.
- By the time they got to the H3DII, I think the cameras became very dependable.
- Longer maximum shutter duration (128 sec) than the 39-megapixel bodies (64 sec)
- Works well with both Schneider and Rodenstock lenses, with plenty of shifting, on a tech camera.
- Big files let you crop in and still have big files.
- Feels good in the hands.
- Great color rendition and skintones.
- Amazing file quality, especially at 50 and 100 ISO. Deep and rich.

Cons
- No true focus.
- Older screen, body, buttons, ergonomics than the H5D series.
- Noisier at higher ISOs than H4D-40. Max ISO is 800 (H4D40 is 1600).
- Can't really do an accurate check for focusing sharpness zoomed in to 100% (you can on the H5D). Zoomed in, it's still hard to tell if it's tack sharp or not.

Plateau Light

• Robert Park Fine Art Photographer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 03:45:58 am »

I have owned/used the H3Dii-50  H4d-50, H5d-50 and H5D-50C,
The buggiest was the H4. The True focus game me issues in the field.

All of the cameras will give issues in cold weather if you have batteries that have over 70 charge cycles so beware with used batteries and cold temps.

The H5D-50C was the best and most battery tolerant of the bunch though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up