Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A7rII sensor cleaning  (Read 2958 times)

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
A7rII sensor cleaning
« on: September 25, 2015, 05:40:27 am »

I can't find much information on sensor cleaning with the new floating sensor, I tried eclipse 2, but that left some residue, Green Clean seems to work better, but not perfect. Any advice?
-------------------------
[url=http://ww

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: A7rII sensor cleaning
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 06:28:48 am »

I can't find much information on sensor cleaning with the new floating sensor, I tried eclipse 2, but that left some residue, Green Clean seems to work better, but not perfect. Any advice?

Hi,

Depending on what needs to be cleaned, I use a blower, or if that doesn't help, a brush, or if that doesn't help or introduces streaks then I use a sensorpen or wet cleaning with eclipse. Thus going step-by-step from the least invasive to the more invasive methods, if needed.

The sensorpen, e.g. this, has never failed me (yet), and I get the impression that it makes the sensor attract/cling to less dirt. A dust shaking IR filter remains very effective for a long time after being cleaned with a sensorpen.  The sensorpen may leave a bit of graphite residue, so always finish off with a blower. Very light pressure, just the weight of the pen itself is usually enough. Especially on large sensors, there is a limit to the amount of pressure that can be applied before it gives in to too much flex.

I have not tried this on the A7rII sensor, so I do not know if it (its coating) is very vulnerable to mechanical treatment, but I assume it is designed well, without a mirrorbox/shutter to keep most of the debris away when changing lenses.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

vjbelle

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 04:23:28 pm »

I've had my first experience of sensor dirt with my A7Rll and just turned the camera so that the sensor faced down and used a blower to blast air up and that cleared up my issue.  I hate all of this liquid anything for sensors but eventually I may have to give in.  I can't imagine the sensor glass not being able to withstand common/known sensor cleaning methods. 

Victor

AlterEgo

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 04:27:55 pm »

I can't imagine the sensor glass not being able to withstand common/known sensor cleaning methods. 

people do worry not about the glass but probably about some coating on top of it...

AlterEgo

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 04:29:43 pm »

The sensorpen may leave a bit of graphite residue
curious - where graphite is coming from ?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 06:26:27 pm »

curious - where graphite is coming from ?

From the microfiber pad. There may be differences between brands, but AFAIK the Lenspen related ones use some graphite.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==
Pages: [1]   Go Up