Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Past, Present and Future Of Photography  (Read 47090 times)

trichardlin

Re: Past, Present and Future Of Photography
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2015, 01:44:40 am »

Pardon me if I do not understand. As an example that one does not need 1000s of followers to be successful on Kickstarter, you take... Jeremy Koreski, who has 30500 Instagram followers? https://instagram.com/jeremykoreski

But many successful projects in Kickstarter don't have that kind of following. I guess I just happen to pick the one that has. I found it purely based on Kickstarter searches, and did not realize he has a big Instagram following. Heck, I don't even use Instagram and I wanted to buy his book!

Of course, a big SM (social media) network does help. But I don't think it's necessary. What's absolutely necessary is a good body of work and the ability to showcase it.

We started a obscure charity movement before. None of us had a big SM presence, and we managed to raise more than $20k in a month.

landscapephoto

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2015, 02:41:42 am »

But many successful projects in Kickstarter don't have that kind of following. I guess I just happen to pick the one that has. I found it purely based on Kickstarter searches, and did not realize he has a big Instagram following. Heck, I don't even use Instagram and I wanted to buy his book!

Of course, a big SM (social media) network does help. But I don't think it's necessary. What's absolutely necessary is a good body of work and the ability to showcase it.

We started a obscure charity movement before. None of us had a big SM presence, and we managed to raise more than $20k in a month.

So you think it is possible to have success on kickstarter without a social media presence. Frankly, I don't know. Maybe you are right and all it takes to manage a successful kickstarter campaign is to have a good video to showcase one's work, which should be quite doable for anyone.

trichardlin

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2015, 05:03:22 pm »

So you think it is possible to have success on kickstarter without a social media presence. Frankly, I don't know. Maybe you are right and all it takes to manage a successful kickstarter campaign is to have a good video to showcase one's work, which should be quite doable for anyone.

I think so. A slick video is a must. Social media campaign helps of course. It's all part of the standard modern day marketing practice.

landscapephoto

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2015, 01:56:30 am »

Yes indeed, and that's not taking into account the mental strain of dealing with all of those people!

LuLa is apparently one of the better places in which to browse, and it doesn't take long to realise that even here, on this little island of semi-sanity, there are folks who feel obliged to switch off other folks!

Imagine the life one would lead having to try and be all things to all men! I say 'men' because I imagine that women, in general, have better ways of spending their time than in a world of fantasy.

You are right: trying to be all things to all men is impossible. Fortunately, Instagram or blogs have a built-in asymmetry: there is the poster and the followers. The followers cannot really disagree.

Take the example of Ming Thein. The blog presents him as a printing guru. Would you go to this blog and post comments that his claims of "super resolution" are, at best, unfounded? Or even post comments that you also know how to run a printer? That would be futile, you would be torn to pieces by all the other followers who came to read the words of the guru.

So being in that position is probably not very tiring once you have enough followers, because nobody can really disagree with you.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up