Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: storm clouds  (Read 24120 times)

Antonio Correia

• Antonio Correia photography
Re: storm clouds
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2015, 11:47:54 am »

Well guys here we have a fruitful discussion !  :)
All the best to you :)
António Correia
+351 969 067 950 = WhatsApp | www.antoniocorreia.com

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2015, 04:17:21 pm »

Welcome to L’ Atelier Luminous Landscape…
I tried; I really did try, and even went for the duct tape in an effort to not inject what seems always to become my inflated “$.02”.
In earlier remarks, Michael R. mentioned an upcoming Salon…wonderful opportunity for any able to spend time there…much as I so appreciate off hours at galleries among surprisingly diverse levels of appreciation, knowledge base, connectedness or not, but always the visions and details of the reason for being drawn to exploration valuable launch platforms to deeper understanding.
The “Storm Clouds” here offered up by Jeremy has been just such an exploration. One of the best experiences of my time at Pratt, although I did not fully appreciate it then, was the opportunity for great Art History instruction, not so much for the learning by rote, but for the building of understanding of how artists were “taught” across cultures and time, as in the Atelier where the master would oversee the developing skills and sensitivities of the “students” as they came to recognize particular idiosyncrasies of edge character, value, color, shapes and their overlapping, or positioning of their depth in the field at hand, the modelling and sculpting by light and luminescence, as when we were sent to observe how that light was defined through layers of glaze in subtle paint application. That sculpting is one of the initial reasons I came to love the darkroom. Through one negative I could try and retry and fail often and search new understanding in the sculpting of the envisioned space and the failure often to succeed but always the exercise rewarded by deeper vision at the time of capture, or in museums seeking the reason for resonance of particular works.
This one raw file of Jeremy’s has brought all of that early joy to the fore in the way diverse envisioners have responded.
First though it is the uneven playing field I finally recognized as the interrupter of sorting the two different edits, as both versions in their own way had removed the room from the anatomies, first the Jeremy version with the crop from the foreground but more dynamically blocking, the severe crop off the left field of the image in the second.
I finally saw these two blocks when viewing the images side by side and the content within each as three torsos on their curve of earth and how the artist would seek to offer the sculpting of them in their realities using the subtle fingering and glazes of the wildly diverging light and luminescence presented by the weathers of that moment across those torsos.   
Once viewed in that light the original (raw) file became for me an Atelier and one I would welcome time spending time participating in. Please accept the above in the spirit of my pleasure in the discovery and in hopes that the beauty of latent possibility jumps out to others. Thank you Jeremy,  and thank you Antonio
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 04:27:59 pm »

Well guys here we have a fruitful discussion !  :)

Yup, and exactly why I started Without Prejudice. Anybody, even I, can second-guess.

I also use the black line; my entire website has it on every single image bar the cover.

Nuttin' new under el sol. Ever.

Jeremy - it'll always be your shot. Period.

;-)

Rob C

stamper

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 03:04:10 am »

I agree with everything you said, Robert. You're perfectly entitled to present your excellent photographs any way you want to, and I hope you're not including me in the group of those taking you to task. In my own stuff I also want a solid black point and a solid white point. It's the mid-tones where we disagree, but I sometimes disagree with the masters, even with HCB.

I think the difference in presentation of Jeremy's fine photograph is that in Antonio's version the storm is upon us and it's affecting the light on the mesas. In Jeremy's version, the storm is only threatening. Jeremy's version is subtle. Antonio's version clobbers you. I like Jeremy's version better, but it's a personal choice.

Russ you flatter me with the word excellent! I wasn't thinking about you when I stated...taking to task. Maybe the difference in the mid tones is down to the monitors being different? :)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 04:27:10 am »

This has proved to be one of the more interesting discussions which have followed my posts here. I'm very happy that I offered Antonio the raw file and I find his treatment of it fascinating. Pat, your comments are touching and I'm humbled to have been the unwitting source for your emotions.

Overall, I prefer my own processing. That's not to say that it's better, or even that since I took the shot I should have the last word. I think perhaps Russ places his finger on the different effects. However, I do like the clarity Antonio has added to the cliffs, if not his crop.

When I have some time, I'm going to examine Antonio's method and perhaps apply some of his ideas. Of course, if anyone else wants to play with the raw file...

Jeremy

Antonio Correia

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 05:42:14 am »

I like all this ! I like all this !   :) :) :)
António Correia

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 10:21:22 am »

This has been a terrific discussion. Thanks, Jeremy for getting it started.

Trying to choose between Jeremy's version and Antonio's, I find it difficult. I think my preference would depend on my own mood on a particular day. I might prefer Jeremy's on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but Antonio's on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

On Sundays I might avoid looking at either to clear my mind for the next week.  

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Antonio Correia

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2015, 10:29:25 am »

... I might prefer Jeremy's on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but Antonio's on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
On Sundays I might avoid looking at either to clear my mind for the next week. -Eric

;D ;D
António Correia

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2015, 12:33:43 pm »

I like both versions but tend to prefer the original edit as well. Antonio's edit is just a little too over the top for me.
Good shot regardless of the editing. I love that part of the country!
-MattB

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2015, 01:29:42 pm »

This has been a terrific discussion. Thanks, Jeremy for getting it started.

Trying to choose between Jeremy's version and Antonio's, I find it difficult. I think my preference would depend on my own mood on a particular day. I might prefer Jeremy's on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but Antonio's on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.

On Sundays I might avoid looking at either to clear my mind for the next week.  

-Eric

Which office are you running for, Eric? Are you about to announce for president?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 05:09:43 pm »

Which office are you running for, Eric? Are you about to announce for president?
I haven't yet decided, Russ. But if I decide, you can be absolutely certain that I will never, ever waffle!
Except now and then...
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 04:03:25 am »

I haven't yet decided, Russ. But if I decide, you can be absolutely certain that I will never, ever waffle!
Except now and then...

Eric, don't run. If you won't waffle, how can you honourably fulfil your post's requirements?

Rob C

Mjollnir

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 05:01:02 pm »

I think what would really tie the whole thing together would be a lighthouse in there somewhere.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2015, 06:26:48 pm »

I think what would really tie the whole thing together would be a lighthouse in there somewhere.

Perhaps; most scenes are improved by a lighthouse, as we've discussed here before.

But since it's a good 700 miles from the nearest coast, I'm not holding my breath waiting for one to be built. Not much passing shipping, you see.  ;)

Jeremy

BobDavid

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2015, 01:15:49 am »

I think Antonio's interpretation is striking. Well done.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up