Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mounting prints to MDF  (Read 9207 times)

elliot_n

Mounting prints to MDF
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:54:44 am »

I have an upcoming exhibition and I would like to display my prints mounted on MDF (edges painted white). The prints are inkjets (Harman Gloss Baryta) in sizes ranging from 8x10 inches to 30x40 inches.

Is this a job best left to the professionals, or is it something I could do myself?

I have access to a couple of art schools, which might have the required equipment. What equipment would that be?

Thanks for any info!

Elliot

stcstc31

Re: Mounting prints to MDF
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 09:29:44 am »

do this all the time. block mounting

smaller ones you might do b hand, the bigger ones really you need a cold press laminator

other thing, the prints are unprotected without a laminate or glass in from of them, so dont expect them to last like that

and more importantly dont sell them lake that, otherwise you will have lots of complaints

other thing, dont paint the edges it looks rubbish, get them edge banded, you can do it yourself with and iron and a trimmer

Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

elliot_n

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 10:43:17 am »

Thanks Stephen for your advice.

Is a cold press laminator something like this? (If it is, I imagine I can find one at the art schools I know).

http://www.amazon.com/Apache-AL25P-Professional-Press-Laminator/dp/B0012UKM78

What adhesive is used? (I've never had good experiences with Spray Mount).

I assume the MDF is pre cut, the image is printed with a few mm of bleed, the print is mounted to the MDF, and then the print is trimmed with a scalpel. (Hmm, just typing this out makes me feel nervous! I might ask a pro to do it for me.)

- For this project, I don't want a laminate the prints, and I do want painted edges (matte white emulsion - to match the gallery wall they'll be placed on).

Justin

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 12:45:07 pm »

I've been experimenting quite a lot recently with block mounting prints onto MDF. I've found the 3M Photo Mount works very well (I think that was the correct name. It's the permanent adhesive in the red can.
I chose to cut the MDF to size with a 15 degree bevel all round. I prefered this to a 90 degree edge asI felt it gave more emphasis to the print. Easily done with a track saw or just a regular circular saw.
Using good quality MDF makes a difference if you intend painting the edges. It's not 'fluffy' like some cheap MDF stocked by some diy retailers. Medite is a good brand and it's worth paying the small extra premium for MRMDF (moisture resistant) as it tends to be slightly better quality than the regular stuff.
I experimented with edge banding the edges with real wood veneer and trying out lots of different finishes, colours and wood types. In the end I was more than happy with just a painted finish and it was a lot less work than veneering the edges.
There's no reason why you shouldn't get an excellent result with paint. I sanded the edges with 120, 180, 240 and 320 grit abrasive. Doesn't take much effort or time if a fine tooth saw blade has been used (I can recommend the Festool TS55 track saw).
I used two thin coats of primer or MDF sealer followed by two or three top coats. I've used either emulsion or gloss paint. I like using emulsion to match my wall colour, or just plain white paint, which doesn't make the white cut edge of the print stand out. I got good results with a small foam roller.
Cutting the edges of the slightly oversized print is the nerve racking bit. A Stanley knife or scalpel works fine but use a brand new blade for each print. A slightly frayed edge from a blunt blade spoils the look.

I haven't used a protective varnish because my mounted prints have just been for my own use and I begrudge paying the extortionate prices here in the UK. A year on and the wall-hung prints still look as new. If however, I was selling prints and expected them to be handled then I'd certainly consider a protective finish of some description.

Hope this helps.

elliot_n

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 04:17:43 pm »

Thanks, Justin, for your detailed notes. I'll be sure to source some decent quality MDF.

I assume you paint the edges (and only the edges) before mounting the print? Is the MDF sealer necessary, or could I just use a few coats of white emulsion?

How do you hang your finished prints? If you look here, under 'Step 2, MDF Nail Fixings', there are several options:

https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/PrintMounting

(I don't fancy working with spray adhesives, so I'm currently thinking of prepping the MDF myself, and then finding someone who will do the mounting and cutting for me.)

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:20:00 pm by elliot_n »

Justin

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 05:25:05 pm »

I just happened to use either primer or MDF sealer because I happened to have some hanging around. I'm sure emulsion will work fine too.

I've only done A4 and A3+ sizes so far and to hang them I use an electric router with a regular straight cutting router bit to cut a mortise about 5cm long x 12cm wide x 13mm deep (when using 18mm MDF). I cut the slot about 4cm from the upper edge. I then just screw a 6mm diameter screw into the wall and just let the screw head sit in the slot on the back of the MDF. Works great and the block-mounted print sits nice and flush on the wall.

Here's an A3+ one I did a while back and one of my first attempts.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:42:41 pm by Justin »

ddolde

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 05:45:29 pm »

Isn't MDF full of acid and formaldehyde?  Certainly not archival and I think a very amateurish presentation.

elliot_n

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 05:50:51 pm »

Isn't MDF full of acid and formaldehyde?  Certainly not archival and I think a very amateurish presentation.

It's certainly not fashionable. That's why I want to use it.

elliot_n

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 05:52:58 pm »

Thanks, Justin. Using a router is a neat solution for hanging. For larger prints, 2 screws in the wall would work well.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 07:05:36 pm »

+1.
What is wrong with foam core or other products designed for the job.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

elliot_n

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 07:22:17 pm »

Foamcore is hideous. I'm only interested in the look, not in the archival properties. In the past, I've exhibited work mounted on aluminium (with sub-frame). But for this particular project, MDF has the right look.

stcstc31

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 10:20:36 am »

if you mounting using dry mount film (not tissue) then there is a polyester (fully inert) barrier effectively as part of the film. so acid wouldnt be the first concern

as for it being an amateurish presentation, some of my customers would be the best selling fine art photographers in the country. and i know that would be the case in the uk with other print houses

i think each to their own in terms of how to present images!!!
Stephen Crozier

www.360-dpi.com

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 11:43:48 am »

Using good quality MDF makes a difference if you intend painting the edges. It's not 'fluffy' like some cheap MDF stocked by some diy retailers. Medite is a good brand and it's worth paying the small extra premium for MRMDF (moisture resistant) as it tends to be slightly better quality than the regular stuff.

Ah, that makes sense. I've only used regular MDF and the edges have always been fluffy... moisture resistant would have to be better I think, yes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up