Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: DCamProf for dummies?  (Read 54215 times)

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
Re: DCamProf for dummies?
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2015, 05:03:50 am »

Hi sebbe,

no I have not made my own test chart. I just thought I could use the full Passport target rather than just the cc24 part. - I have looked at the make-testchart command, it does not answer my question, nor does testchart-ff, which I have used for flat-fielding. -
Well if Anders is satisfied with the cc24, so am I, I guess...

Good light!

sebbe

« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2015, 08:47:38 am »

Thanks for clarifying, it looks like I can't help you more.

But, what is the reason you want to use the whole part? They are just for a different use. One is for profiling, the other for whitebalance.
Anyway, there is no visible difference in using anything else instead of the cc24 in regard of profiling with dcamprof (e.g to the ColorChecker Digital SG with 140 fields). So you would not see a difference when using all the fields (with the whitebalance-part) or just the cc24-fields.

AlterEgo

« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2015, 09:16:08 am »

I just thought I could use the full Passport target rather than just the cc24 part
there is no gain for profiles from the 2nd page really... the _color_ patches are not (that) different = do not really bring any useful reference points

torger

« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2015, 09:39:53 am »

Hi sebbe,

no I have not made my own test chart. I just thought I could use the full Passport target rather than just the cc24 part. - I have looked at the make-testchart command, it does not answer my question, nor does testchart-ff, which I have used for flat-fielding. -
Well if Anders is satisfied with the cc24, so am I, I guess...

Good light!

The layout.json format currently does not support "complex" layouts like the ColorChecker Passport, so you'll have to satisfy with the cc24 part for now. I've made some simulations and really adding those extra won't make much of a difference as they are in a similar color range so I have not prioritized to support it.

If you want a real difference you should have a target which can do super-saturated colors like the CCSG, but it's very hard to shoot without significant glare issues.

A large amount of patches may be worthwhile if you do high end reproduction work, and then the patches should match the artwork you're copying, but if you make a profile for generic all-around use there's little gain to even go beyond the CC24.

What makes bundled profiles different between manufactures (Lightroom vs Capture One etc) is custom looks and optimization tradeoffs and how they apply the contrast curve, gamut compression etc. The actual target used doesn't have that large impact. DCamProf has it's "neutral tone reproduction operator" that is central to how its profiles looks, and with look operators you can apply some custom changes if you like.

One should worry more about making as well made shot as possible to reduce "measurement errors" rather than having lots of patches.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:43:13 am by torger »

AlterEgo

« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2015, 09:49:49 am »

super-saturated colors like the CCSG

a theoretical question - what is the "physics" behind the direct relation between saturation and "glossiness" (for objects that reflect, not emit) ?

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2015, 01:09:36 pm »

Thanks to all who replied. After what you all write, I feel really OK with the cc24. I tried to shoot the CCSG and the result was so miserable that dcamprof did not use a single patch for fusion to the combo.ti3. But I have a really good flat-fielded shot of the cc24, so I feel all set.
Thanks again!

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2015, 02:36:24 pm »

Hi!
Hope you all had a merry Christmas!
I am confused about the make-icc command:
Which parameter am I to use with the -t flag if I want the neutral tone reproduction operator with the -o flag? As far as I can figure out, the -o without parameters would yield the neutral operator. But it pre-supposes that a non-linear curve is applied with the -t flag, but these are either acr or a custom .json file, so they will have their own curve. The -t without a parameter would mean 'no curve'. So -??
A happy new year!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up