Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunrise, Harker's Island  (Read 841 times)

Brookie

Sunrise, Harker's Island
« on: November 20, 2016, 06:30:01 pm »

Sunrise, Harker's Island, NC.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Sunrise, Harker's Island
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 03:25:02 am »

The image looks a bit "crunchy", but I like the colour and light.

Brookie

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:19:51 am »

Thanks Paulo, I'll need to look back at the unprocessed image to see where that comes from.

I'm still pretty new here and missed the fact that the Critique forum may be the best place to get feedback. Anyway, all comments welcome.

francois

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 10:01:22 am »

I like the combination of the sky and sea punchy colors a lot. Well worth getting out of the bed early!
The processing might not be the best regarding details and aspect of the clouds/waves but it might just be JPEG artefacts due to downsizing for the web.
Francois

Brookie

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 03:42:02 pm »

Paulo, Francois,
Thanks for your comments. I've gone back and taken a second look at the unprocessed image. I think some of the "crunchiness" actually is inherent to the image. The image is not real sharp to start with. I was in a boat and it may have moved a bit so at 1/60 it really isn't tack sharp to start with. On top of that it is inherently contrasty, particularly the highlights on the crests of the small waves.

The processing is not overly excessive. The temp was not changed from as shot. Exposure is +0.20, contrast is +25, clarity is +15, vibrancy is +15 (slightly enhancing the blue/purple in the cloudy), and I gave it +15 saturation (which doesn't add that much more) - the colors of the clouds are very close to original. I gave it 50 on sharpening plus the jpeg sharpening for screen viewing. Processed in adobe RGB and converted to sRGB for web viewing.

I think most of the crunchiness comes from the texture of the clouds and the contrast of the wave crests rather than the processing. And as I mentioned, the fact that the image is not perfectly sharp may have added to it as well.

I'm still rather new to LR so if you have alternative suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.
Thanks!

Brookie

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2016, 03:53:42 pm »

By the way, this frame was made only 32 seconds after the other one. The angle to the sun is a little bit different, but the blue/purple was gone - I don't think the colors in the first frame lasted for more than a minute, or two at the most. I'll take luck when it's handed to me ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up