Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Canon L lenses

(1/4) > >>

JPlayer:
I find lenses in America are about 25% cheaper when compared to UK. So the saving on a £1000 lens would pretty much pay for the flight tickets from London to New York.

Can you recommend shops in New York or internet sites which will post to Uk.

Anywhere else in the world that would be worth flying to?

davidh4976:
www.BHPHOTOVIDEO.com

Excellent reputation and my experience with them has been excellent (purchased several L lenses and a 5D and lots of miscellaneous stuff).

Slough:

--- Quote ---I find lenses in America are about 25% cheaper when compared to UK. So the saving on a £1000 lens would pretty much pay for the flight tickets from London to New York.

Can you recommend shops in New York or internet sites which will post to Uk.

Anywhere else in the world that would be worth flying to?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=60073\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
--- End quote ---

Problem is you'll have to pay tax on entering the UK if you get stopped. You could stuff it in the luggage and hope it is not stolen/detected. Or carry it as hand luggage and hope they do not question you. I guess it would depend on size and value and a 600mm F4 might attract questions. I once brought back a lens from a trip to the US, but it was not high value. I've heard that pros have to carry proof of ownership, or get receipts when leaving the US, for when they return. You'll have to ask pros to see if they is true or nonsense.

Leif

JPlayer:
thanks for advice!
how about miami? sounds like a nice holiday, I hear they have sales, after hurricane seasons

wolfnowl:
I can't answer for the UK, but with Canada, the official story is that if traveling to the US you have to carry a Canada Customs 'Y38' card which lists the serial numbers of all of your equipment.  If you're stopped at the border when returning, the card verifies that all of the equipment was purchased in Canada.  Similarly, if sending a piece of equipment to the US for repair, the repair lab has to clearly label the package "Canadian goods being returned to Canada" to avoid paying duty, etc.

Now, you've 'successfully' brought that piece of equipment back from the US... what you don't realize is that Canada Customs has five years to find out about you.  If they come calling and you can't provide an original receipt, then you get to pay the full cost of the item (Cdn dollars), all of the duty and taxes, a nice fine and then they confiscate the equipment anyway.  Now it's unlikely that Customs is going to come after you for something cheap, but if it's that cheap there's no advantage in the first place.

Is it worth it?  Only you can decide.

Mike.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version