Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 using it fast  (Read 43169 times)

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
C1 using it fast
« on: August 09, 2015, 06:17:36 pm »

Mainly I shoot video now and am getting to be a dab hand at Resolve. coming back to C1 to do 1000 stills I shot last week is seeming kind of taxing.

In resolve = means take colour from previous image and paste on to current image

In resolve - means take colour from previous image plus one and paste on to current image

The L-R arrows seem to get disabled a lot aka if I move my mouse to the Kelvin slider I then have to re-click on the image to highlight it to start navigating through the contacts.

Shift apple C/V works but seems like a lot of fingers.

Any pointers to becoming a C1 speed demon.

Thanks

SMM
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: C1 using it fast
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 06:32:45 pm »

Use Command Left and Command Right instead of left and right. This will advance to the next or previous image regardless of whether your cursor is focused on the image browser (or is elsewhere such as in the kelvin field).

You can change the shortcut to copy/paste adjustment to your liking: [Capture One  > Edit Keyboard Shortcuts > Adjustments].

By the way, white balance can be adjusted from the keyboard; the defaults for this are very obscure, so I suggest setting your own in [Capture One  > Edit Keyboard Shortcuts > Shortcuts > White Balance].

There is no Resolve-like shortcut for copy-forward or copy-backward (or copy-backward-skipping-one). In our Capture One Masters Program we take you through the steps you'd need to do a copy from last image, or copy-forward in a single keystroke, along with a few dozen other workflow tips and tricks. In case you ever make it to NYC.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:37:06 pm by Doug Peterson »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 06:41:32 pm »

Awesome cmdL-R is a good start!

UK - not in the USA any time soon :(

S

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 06:36:30 am »

Is there a simple way to match to a Gretag card - I used to do that all the time in my Sinar software to create a start point..

S

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:14:46 am »

Is there a simple way to match to a Gretag card - I used to do that all the time in my Sinar software to create a start point.

Hi,

No, not an easy/automatic way, unless you create a profile yourself (with all the difficulties and trade-offs associated with that).
However, the Color Editor tool will allow to create and save a tuned/custom ICC profile after adjusting the colors visually or by number. You can base it on any profile that gives a pleasing baseline for your shooting conditions, and use it as a default, e.g. per session.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 12:30:59 pm »

Hmm

The ideal would be to just click on a card and then paste that onto the next frame.

In changing light, swapping between daylight and syobe etc I cant see time for building profiles!

Thanks for the info.

S

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 01:01:05 pm »

The ideal would be to just click on a card and then paste that onto the next frame.

In changing light, swapping between daylight and syobe etc I cant see time for building profiles!

You can do it at your leisure afterwards ..., try as many variations as you want, and assign the choice to as many Raw files as you'd like. The Raw file remains there to be developed as you see fit. Capture One is flexible.

Cheers,
Bart

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 01:09:16 pm »

"Leisure" - does not include sitting at a computer!

Resolve has match to card, my old Sinar has match to card, Speedgrade has match to card.

I was just seeing if it is here in C1 too.

FYI this job was about 1000 frames of clothes and fashion, Ive done em fine with manual tint and kelvin, but when the model is on grass or suchlike the green comes in - no problem with a grey card but looking to go beyond that.

We have another job where the client thinks we got the colour wrong on some packaging - simply the boxes are clearly different from each other (physically) - here we would like to match perfectly to 'cover ourselves'

S
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:12:29 pm by Morgan_Moore »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 01:54:24 pm »

I'm assuming then you're not using a Phase One digital back as your camera. Phase includes profiles for strobe and daylite as well as portrait profiles, and tightly integrates their knowledge of their backs color response under varying circumstances into Capture One processing thereof; the result is better color with less hassle.

By the way your question inspired us to do a short video with some other useful tricks in Capture One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGb6kHLPhEs

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 03:53:07 pm »

D600 5dmk3 and others.

Any camera colour needs tweaking when used on location however well te camera is understood

Lots of grass can add green - or pink walls could add a cast - not to mention I bet our ellys are a different colour from our Q flashes

To me it is about rendering the core product correctly (models outfit) in these varied locations

I look forward to the vide when I'm at my machine :)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 04:20:11 pm »

D600 5dmk3 and others.

Any camera colour needs tweaking when used on location however well te camera is understood

Hi,

I get the impression that you are (ab)using the profile for color correction/grading. The Color Editor may be just what you need, on the fly (re-usable) color corrections. There is also a possibility to more globally yet separately adjust shadow, mid-tone, and highlight color/luminance/hue with the 3-way color balance tool.

Lots of grass can add green - or pink walls could add a cast - not to mention I bet our ellys are a different colour from our Q flashes

Indeed, but that's ambient light reflection and that varies in intensity with distance and angle relative to the reflecting surface. A profile will not solve that either. Colors will constantly vary as soon as something is repositioned.

Cheers,
Bart

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 04:49:26 pm »

I don't think I want to profile my camera - typically I pop a grey card into each setup - I'm the past I used to pop a gretag card into the shot - with my sinar - now sold- it was easy to use that as a "better" grey card.

Now I do video I often do the same thing in resolve - a couple of recent stills jobs have brought that need to the fore - I just wondered if c1 does it simply - apparently not :)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 05:34:46 pm »

I don't think I want to profile my camera - typically I pop a grey card into each setup - I'm the past I used to pop a gretag card into the shot - with my sinar - now sold- it was easy to use that as a "better" grey card.

Now I do video I often do the same thing in resolve - a couple of recent stills jobs have brought that need to the fore - I just wondered if c1 does it simply - apparently not :)

Sorry, but I do not follow what you want. Now it sounds like you want to White-balance with a single white-balance click on neutral grey. That's so basic that virtually all Raw converters can do that. I use a WhiBal card included in the scene for that. It's spectrally almost perfectly neutral, and also weather proof, so much more durable and thus consistent than a ColorChecker.

Cheers,
Bart

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 09:47:22 pm »

Yep I know how to do a wb thanks.

Doing "the same" with a gretag card is "better" as you are matching many colours.

Move along.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 03:30:59 am »

Move along.

I apologize for trying to help you, my mistake.

Cheers,
Bart

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 04:24:40 am »

Hi Morgan,

I will admit to being confused too.

You say you don't want to profile your camera but you want to do more than a grey balance?  There is no in-between really!

Are you unhappy with the default colours from your camera?  What needs to change?  Can you adjust with the colour editor?

Bart gave all good advice.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

AlterEgo

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 11:45:39 am »

well - you can actually build SSF/CMF __ once (JUST ONCE) __ for your camera and then instead of dealing with WB tagets ("grey cards") you can try to read out the illumination with some tool that allows to save a spectrum (I think Seconic SpectroMaster is a portable thing that will measure, store and you can get that data to your computer from it later) - and then you can just build a custom profile matching that exact illumination... a step above WB... no need to shot targets all the time
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 11:52:26 am by AlterEgo »

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 01:41:53 pm »

Hi Morgan,

I will admit to being confused too.

My cameras are great. The situation I am referring to is getting accurate colours under varying light conditions which could be chaning CT in natural light or varied brands (ages?) of strobe.

We all know that the first simple step to achieving this is popping a grey card into the frame. (I guess we have all been doing grey clicks for 13 years which is why I found BVWs post a little patronising)

Now, possibly wrongly, I have always been under the impression that instead of using a grey card a higher degree of accuracy can be achieved by using a Macbeth (or other) card that has a selection of known reference colours and using software to lock to all of those colours.

Consider this mildly fictional situation.

A company designs a product package, maybe it has a key yellow that is 240-200-50 (RGBvalues) the colour the grapics designer and the company agreed.

Now the product is made (a physical item) and photographed

The client then decides the yellow is 'wrong'

Now who is at fault - the photographer? - or is the ink on the product just not the right colour

Has the photographer photographed a faulty product?

Well if we have photographed a card under the same lighting then the yellow patch in the card should read 255 217 0

So if we got our 'official yellow' right then we can suggest that the product is at fault not the photography.

Having drifted away from that part of the business I sold my Sinar.. which had exactly the facility for locking the colour to a card (the back was getting pretty old and clearly modern cheap' DSLRs were 'better'). Of course the business spun round and now we are photographing some exact product for a picky client (beverages/packaging of same)

My simple question was is there a facility to 'lock to card' in C1?

It appears the simple answer is no. (no problem there are scripts in PS to do this I think - and only 5% of our business is that picky)

Now you may want to put me right that locking to a grey card is as accurate as locking to a colour card.. but I doubt it.

S

« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:19:42 pm by Morgan_Moore »

AlterEgo

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 07:47:40 pm »

My simple question was is there a facility to 'lock to card' in C1?

you can use a color editor in C1 to get certain spot colors right... I 'd assume you have a limited number of "key colors" in a product...

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 08:39:22 am »

Nice video thanks :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up