Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Gigapixel Lens A7r

<< < (2/4) > >>

David Mills:
BartVanderWolf: Again, much appreciate the input. As somewhat newer to the world of photography and discovering quickly that what I’m trying to accomplish is rather complicated, let me rephrase the intended conclusion. Disregarding for now (and this maybe a moronic way to phrase it) much of the stuff about viewing distance and such, the question when you boil it down might be better framed, is it possible and if so how, does one produce a 7X21 foot print at 300dpi?

Bart_van_der_Wolf:

--- Quote from: BAPP on August 05, 2015, 11:58:34 am ---BartVanderWolf: Again, much appreciate the input. As somewhat newer to the world of photography and discovering quickly that what I’m trying to accomplish is rather complicated, let me rephrase the intended conclusion. Disregarding for now (and this maybe a moronic way to phrase it) much of the stuff about viewing distance and such, the question when you boil it down might be better framed, is it possible and if so how, does one produce a 7X21 foot print at 300dpi?
--- End quote ---

Hi,

A 7 x 21 foot print, 84 x 252 inch, at 300 PPI = 25200 x 75600 pixels (1.9 Gigapixels). Divide that by the number of pixels that the camera produces and multiply that by 1.4 for an approx. 30% overlap of the image tiles. That should give you an idea of the number of image tiles you need, and whether landscape orientation or portrait orientation of the camera is more efficient. Those image tiles would have a high enough resolution to also allow closer viewing conditions, but it would be overkill for larger viewing distances, and would require more (multirow pano) equipment to shoot.

You then need to look at which focal length lens produces the partial Field of View for the individual image tiles that adds up to the total Field of View that needs to be captured. You then need to determine if the Depth of Field from such a lens can be achieved without having to use excessively narrow apertures for the camera that will be used, since that would cost resolution. That might lead to the conclusion that the use of Focus Stacking, or a Tilt/Shift lens, is needed.

Do note that this is a very crude approximation, not really what you initially asked. That's because several different Panorama projections other than e.g. Cylindrical can require additional shots to be taken, or the use of longer focal lengths and more rows. There may also be a need to create the original stitched panorama at a somewhat oversized dimension, to allow for down-sampling to achieve better lens resolution.

Producing/printing such output is something you should plan together with a Lab that can handle such sizes, and mount it for a transportable/re-usable setup.

Cheers,
Bart

NancyP:
I am finding it hard to imagine someone closely examining (1 foot distance) a 7' x 21' print. Billboards are 20 ppi or something? Surely 100 ppi would be way more than enough?

Bart_van_der_Wolf:

--- Quote from: NancyP on August 06, 2015, 11:11:26 am ---I am finding it hard to imagine someone closely examining (1 foot distance) a 7' x 21' print. Billboards are 20 ppi or something? Surely 100 ppi would be way more than enough?
--- End quote ---

Hi,

I agree that 300 PPI Capture resolution is probably(?) over-stressing the requirements, and that was why I asked what the viewing distance requirements are. That will make a lot of difference.

Cheers,
Bart

BradSmith:

--- Quote from: BAPP on August 05, 2015, 11:58:34 am ---BAPP said: ...........how does one produce a 7X21 foot print at 300dpi?

--- End quote ---

Bart answered your question in detail and correctly.  You seem to want a simpler answer.   Here it is......

Take a LOT of images.   

OK, OK!!!    I know.    How many?  With the pixel dimension of the a7r you asked about, using the calculation method described by Bart, it would take 5 rows of 21 images/row with the camera in the vertical, portrait orientation. 

Then I suppose the question becomes......but my computer chokes to death on 105 36Mp images!  How do I photomerge them???

Start another topic for that question

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version