Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: High resolution test image from Canon 5DsR - three raw converters  (Read 17554 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: High resolution test image from Canon 5DsR - three raw converters
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 12:10:17 pm »

And here is another crop, also a challenge for non-OLP filtered sensors. This type of reproduction work would be much less risky with the EOS 5DS, and subsequent output sharpening would still allow to achieve (halo-free) biting sharpness should one so desire.

Again, the false color artifacts can be suppressed. This also is an image where one could get away with the aliasing as if it were real detail, but only if one doesn't know how the real thing looks at this scale.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:14:24 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 12:31:47 pm »

Again, the false color artifacts can be suppressed. This also is an image where one could get away with the aliasing as if it were real detail, but only if one doesn't know how the real thing looks at this scale.

This is just an (over the top) example of where one could take such an image if it would only be viewed on a display at 100% zoom.
I applied some quick output sharpening (with Topaz Detail) on the Capture sharpened 5DS JPEG (!) image I posted earlier. Not my regular workflow, which would start by getting rid of color artifacts, and uses much more elaborate sharpening methods on 16-bit/channel image data (if not floating point numerical for deep deconvolution). So just a quicky for those who think that the previous images still look soft.

The sensor is actually struggling with the fine detail (as is the Raw converter), the lens has much more to offer, but 50 MP is not enough to resolve this crop reliably ... One would normally shoot it at a larger magnification, with longer focal length or closer up, and then downsample if needed. Also the use of a different Raw converter such as the AMAZE algorithm in RawTherapee, might avoid some of the mazing artifacts.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. Download the image and view it at 100% zoom to prevent the web viewer from mangling the image.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:22:25 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jrp

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 04:28:54 pm »

This is interesting.  I quite often get colour moire or other artefacts when using Lightroom / ACR with a Leica.  I thought that it was the camera, when used with lenses that perform beyond its resolution, but the C1 results here show what can be achieved.

Trouble is that the build it lens correction and auto keystoning feature is the Adobe product are very useful and seem to have no equivalent in C1.  I have tried Accuraw, but it is like returning to a bygone age: lots of sliders and settings, leading to lots of clicking and dropping down, leading to a slow workflow.

I do hope that Adobe will get on with it and improve their demosaicing.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up