Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The perennial question...should I give away photography for free or not?  (Read 11869 times)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au

Sorry, providing for the needs of disadvantaged children is a problem!

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website

We are going in circles. Who said it is a problem?

Tim Lookingbill

Quote from: Tim Lookingbill on July 17, 2015, 04:53:55 PM
See, I just performed some "Digital Marketing Strategics" by placing a link to an article no one would've ever found out about if it wasn't for my actions.

Perhaps you should do the same for your own pics?

Unfortunately due to the ubiquitous nature and easy access to photographs online and the difficulty if not inability to gauge or anticipate online public tastes, I feel that article is more interesting than my own pics, more interesting than videos of cats playing a piano.

However, I do value my images as a documentation of a journey of discovery on how I personally express how I see the world. That's how I have to approach the creative process. My intent is not to please everyone, just myself. Not much of a market for that approach due to an extremely fickle public.

Distribution of such content (including music) online has been cast to the four winds of a public with a very divided attention span, specific tastes and a remote control in the shape of a mouse.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:37:47 pm by Tim Lookingbill »

tom b

The very act of giving away to those who really need it is, of course, highly commendable. But we are talking about how valuable it is, or how valuable it is perceived to be, and the degree of it. And that depends on context and many other factors.

Slobodan, have you lost the plot! Charity is not just highly commendable, just like teaching it is a fundamental of being a civilised human being! Giving back to your community is a privilege.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website

Tom, far be it from me to stand in the way of you feeling great about your charitable contribution to the civilization. I am sure St. Peter will take that into account much better than I possibly could.

tom b

"Tom, far be it from me to stand in the way of you feeling great about your charitable contribution to the civilization. I am sure St. Peter will take that into account much better than I possibly could."

Wow, I must admit that I have seemed surprised by your patronising replies in the past. However, giving away images to educational projects is simply right. Taking a photograph doesn't mean that you have to make a dollar off it! I thought the topic of the thread was "should I give away my photography for free"? I have no idea what you think this thread is about!

Cheers,
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:36:21 pm by tom b »
Tom Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website

... Wow, I must admit that I have seemed surprised by your patronising replies in the past...

Why surprised? I worked hard to build a reputation on that ;)

... giving away images to educational projects is simply right...

And once again, where did I say it is wrong?

... I thought the topic of the thread was "should I give away my photography for free"? I have no idea what you think this thread is about!

My first post in this thread was a response to a specific comment, which I will repeat here:

...a photograph can often be a gift that will be valued by the recipient but costs the donor little.

I responded to that specific combination "valued...but costs little." with a general statement about the perceived value of gifts. If you, or others, are willing to discuss that, I am all for it. I can then cite scientific research I am basing my opinion on. If your only contribution is getting on the high horse of righteousness and moral superiority, then, yes, I am inclined to respond with sarcasm.

tom b

'Tom, far be it from me to stand in the way of you feeling great about your charitable contribution to the civilization. I am sure St. Peter will take that into account much better than I possibly could."

Wow, I must be dumb for feeling patronised for giving away my images for free to disadvantaged students! What was the name of this thread?

Cheers,
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 03:24:46 pm by tom b »
Tom Brown

Otto Phocus

Ignore his comments and they'll sink.

In reading the comments on this thread, I have to admit that you were right.

Somethings I think there are people on the Internets Tubes that simply enjoy arguing.  Does not matter what about, it is the arguing that gives them satisfaction.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

Otto: I disagree with your statement.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website

;D

Otto Phocus

I disagree with your disagreement.  I will argue this point so that I can achieve the glorious outcome of "winning an internet argument".   ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos

The point I was making was that there really are few arguments on the internet.  That's why I disagreed. And I'll support my argument with the fallback, "Give the links that prove your data."   :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up