Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alternative lens hood for the 28/1.8 USM  (Read 3117 times)

Yakim Peled

Alternative lens hood for the 28/1.8 USM
« on: February 24, 2006, 04:05:15 am »

I have the 28/1.8 USM and the original lens hood EW-63 II. I use it all the time but when I'm outside, I notice a tendency to flare. Therefore I wish for an additional hood to be used outside.

Requirements:

1. The hood must be from Canon.
2. The hood must physically be able to attach to the lens. The EW-63 II is a twist type so clip type like the ET-65 III will not do.
3. The hood must be longer than the original.

Please ignore the possible problem of vignetting because:

1. I'll be using it on the 1D which has a natural crop factor of 1.3X.
2. I'll only be using this hood when the sun is shining bright so I'll be using closed apertures like f/8.
3. In the worst possible case I can always dismount it and use the original one.

So, which lens hoods fits the 3 criteria above and from them, which is the longest?

TIA.
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 12:03:43 pm »

Requirement #1 leaves you with no choice other than the EW-63 II.

If you want a different hood, then you need to look at generic screw-on (the EW-63 II is a bayonet) hoods from other companies. Generally the generics perform far worse than the Canon hoods which are designed for your lens.

Yakim Peled

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 01:06:49 pm »

Clarification: I am looking for a replacement hood just like the EW-83D II (the one for the 24/1.4 L) is a replacement hood for the 17-40/4, when mounted it is mounted on a 1.6X/1.3X bodies.
Happy shooting,
Yakim.
Pages: [1]   Go Up