Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

Taking pictures of a race.

<< < (2/3) > >>

BobShaw:
In addition to what Eric said,
1. If possible, get a monopod that brings the viewfinder to eye height. Holding a camera all day is hard work.
2. For cars coming towards you they will almost all be on the same line. Put it on manual focus or back bottom focus and focus on the piece of tar that the car will pass over and wait for it. You can not successfully auto focus on a race car coming towards you with a cheaper camera.
3. If it is really dusty use a rain sleeve or similar and a UV filter (the only time I advocate one).

Good luck.

Eric Myrvaagnes:
BobShaw's points are good ones.
I certainly remember focusing on the pavement where I expected oncoming cars to be.
I never considered autofocus, mainly because it didn't exist back then.   ;)

suzieberg:
Wow, so many brilliant advices!

Thank you so much, guys. I will definitely use them! :)

DucatiTerminator:
Is most of the racing you shoot on dirt of asphalt?

Ken Bennett:
Will you have a photo credential that puts you in the pits or in the photo stands down by the track? If so, great -- that's good access, but pay attention and BE CAREFUL. There's a lot going on, very quickly, on all sides, and it's easy to get in someone's way and to get hurt. (Here in the USA race photogs sign a waiver when picking up their credentials, and it's pretty bulletproof-- "blah blah blah imminent death." And it's your fault, not theirs.)

At our local track, they have several races on race night -- starting with lower level cars and shorter races, and working up to the "Modified" class with more laps. If that's the case there, then it gives you an opportunity to shoot in several places and figure out how to tell the story. There are good photos in pit row, in one of the trickier turns (stay on the inside of the turn for safety), and at the finish line for the end of the race. Don't forget to shoot the fans, the pit crews, and the drivers before and after. If you know who is going to win, you may be able to position yourself to shoot the winner crossing the finish line, then turn around and shoot his team celebrating.

You should certainly try for some "panning" shots, where you shoot a slow shutter speed and move the camera with the car, but most of your photos should be at a high enough shutter speed to freeze the action. This is higher than you think with most race cars.

Good luck and report back... :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version