Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bevel cut edges prior to feeding thick papers into 3880.  (Read 436 times)

Some Guy

Bevel cut edges prior to feeding thick papers into 3880.
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:20:10 pm »

Little experiment, but it seemed to help.

I have an old box of 13x19 sheets of Inkpress Cold Press Warm 300 weight.  Using it today presented me with bad head strikes on both sides even though it has been stored flat for a year in the box and plastic wrapper.  Edges grew up from the strikes from 0.455" paper thickness up to 1.080" on the sides along with the black ink mess coming off the head.  Paper still has an upward curl on all four edges which the 3880 protested with a lot of noise too.  Not as bad as the BC Silverado which actually got pushed sideways by the head during my last incident with that stuff, but head-strike noise was still pretty bad and alarming as I already had one cracked head carriage and not wanting to go there again.

I only need 11x14 off it so I trimmed the edges off along with a steep 60 degree slope with the rotary cutter blade thinking that might keep the print head from striking bluntly and maybe climb up over the edge rather than hitting it squarely and bending it up along with the subsequent mess.

Oddly, it worked!

Don't know why these papers seem to curl so bad on the edges alone even with stored sheets, but trimming them down a bit and along with a sloped/beveled edge seems to work better.  Maybe they aren't sharply cut from the manufacture, or edges just swell in time.  ???

SG

Pages: [1]   Go Up