Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: P800 Report  (Read 31076 times)

jdoyle1713

• http://www.shadesofpaper.com
Re: P800 Report
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2015, 10:29:29 pm »

5100 Really? Its almost what 9 yrs old.. Real lly Canon Left this space vacant..

P-800 Is what it is.. 4900 is what It is.. Thats The 17" Market..

entry level pro.. I Personally cant wait for the bigger machines and New Ink Sets..

My Only advice is run them often.. Best Of Luck to all..

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
856-787-9200
Jim Doyle
[url=http://www.shadesofpaper.

rdonson

P800, Mac 10.10.4, Lr CC 2015 and ABW
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 11:11:10 pm »

My new P800 prints color very nicely from Lr CC 2015.  When I try to print B&W things go awry.  I'm testing this with Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster

1) I've set Lr's Print Module's Color Mgmt to "Managed by Printer"
2) I click "Printer" for the print driver which appears
3) Select Printer Settings
4) "Print Mode:" and "Color Mode:" are grayed out and I can't select ABW

What am I missing????

Regards,
Ron

rdonson

Re: P800, Mac 10.10.4, Lr CC 2015 and ABW
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 11:19:28 pm »

My new P800 prints color very nicely from Lr CC 2015.  When I try to print B&W things go awry.  I'm testing this with Epson Ultra Premium Photo Paper Luster

1) I've set Lr's Print Module's Color Mgmt to "Managed by Printer"
2) I click "Printer" for the print driver which appears
3) Select Printer Settings
4) "Print Mode:" and "Color Mode:" are grayed out and I can't select ABW

What am I missing????

I figured it out.  I had a preset that I was using and had no idea it affected this aspect of the print driver.  I set things to "Default Settings" and voila, ABW is now available.  That was a wasted hour of my life.  >:(
Regards,
Ron

Nora_nor

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2015, 11:08:11 am »

Yeah I have managed to do that too, exactly the same

rdonson

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2015, 02:14:04 pm »

Thanks, Nora.  Its comforting to know I'm not the only one who went down that rat hole.
Regards,
Ron

Richowens

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2015, 03:36:16 pm »

Thank you Ron for keeping me from going down that hole.

This is my first ABW printer.

Thanks,

Rich

deanwork

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2015, 09:22:42 pm »

Hi Jim,

Could you fill us in a little about what to expect from the new generation of Epson LF printers?

They are putting out some preliminary talk on the Wilhelm site that they have improved both color and bw longevity. Their bw longevity is fine where it is but if they have caught up with Canon or beat them regarding  their yellow ink stability that may be something to really brag about.

The five  things that they really need to have worked out are ,1. improved color permanence ( better yellow), 2. no more bs ink waste switching between PK and Mk, that's retarded and old fashioned and hopefully, if they really want to rock, 3. one more very light gray ink.

From our conversation awhile back I sense that the replacement  for the 11880 might be the only one that they add the new third gray ink to? 4.the other thing that would catch them up to HP and Canon is having a neutral gray inkset so you don't have to mix dots of magenta and cyan to print monochrome, that's old fashioned too. 5. and finally will the pressurized piezo heads continue to clog and drive us nuts. 

If they solved all of these 5 things they could overwhelm Canon and destroy HP, if not, they won't.

john

5100 Really? Its almost what 9 yrs old.. Real lly Canon Left this space vacant..

P-800 Is what it is.. 4900 is what It is.. Thats The 17" Market..

entry level pro.. I Personally cant wait for the bigger machines and New Ink Sets..

My Only advice is run them often.. Best Of Luck to all..

Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
856-787-9200

Nora_nor

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2015, 01:24:04 pm »

I read on a german site somewhere that the SC P800 is three months delayed, and someone else posted they come august 12

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2015, 01:44:41 pm »

I read on a german site somewhere that the SC P800 is three months delayed, and someone else posted they come august 12

They are in stock at B&H in New York, as well as at Vistek and Henrys in Toronto, and elsewhere in North America.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2015, 03:03:30 pm »

I bought mine in the UK from wex photographic, dpsb.co.uk have them as well.

The roll attachment in the UK is shipping with a free roll of Lustre paper, a good deal.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2015, 05:36:33 am »

Just an aside from the new Epson printer, last week  my 9900 stopped printing yellow. It was not a block but necessitated a trip to the Printer doctor. In order to keep up output in the busiest time for years I fired up my old 9800. It had been sitting for 5 years. One light clean and not a clogged nozzle. Perfect neutral monochrome print in full 8 inks, all at least 5 years old. The 9900 needs de-clogging every couple of prints. Of course the 9800 is terribly slow ,guzzles ink on a black change and has a slightly uneven gamut, especially in red but it is much more reliable than the next generation. Thanks for the excellent review. My limited experience with the P800 indicates a superior clarity in deep reds and blues, but it's early days. I may have more to say in 6 months.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2015, 06:10:49 am »

For those with the P800 and experience with the 3880:

How is the built quality of the P800 compared with the 3880?

I always found the 3880 to be somewhat lightly built, especially the front door that covers the output tray.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Jager

• E vestigio
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2015, 06:41:38 am »

For those with the P800 and experience with the 3880:

How is the built quality of the P800 compared with the 3880?

I always found the 3880 to be somewhat lightly built, especially the front door that covers the output tray.

Very similar build quality.  I agree the front door of the 3800/3880 feels a little light, but it's not a stressed component, so not sure I'd worry too much about that. 

deanwork

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2015, 10:56:41 am »

Did Epson change the color of the gray inks on this new inkset to arrive at a neutral hue like Canon and HP, or is it the same ole greenish/brown Epson gray? If they did not change them that will be sad for the new LF machines coming online, especially the 11880 replacement that is rumored to have 3 grays and two black inks. Out of QTR you will still have to add cyan and magenta inks to neutralize them and that's not good.

john

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2015, 11:23:12 am »

Did Epson change the color of the gray inks on this new inkset to arrive at a neutral hue like Canon and HP, or is it the same ole greenish/brown Epson gray? If they did not change them that will be sad for the new LF machines coming online, especially the 11880 replacement that is rumored to have 3 grays and two black inks. Out of QTR you will still have to add cyan and magenta inks to neutralize them and that's not good.

john

The data given in Figure 2 of my article is pretty representative of the kinds of deviations from 0 you should expect in the a* and b* channels. I do have Lab readouts for a number of papers using the full quarter-tone range provided in the Outback printer evaluation target image. Variances around 0 tend to be within 1/2 a level; however, in some cases can go as high as 1 or so. The most neutral results I obtained were with Epson HPN in ABW mode. There is no systematic or obvious bias to greenish/brown gray emerging from the testing I did.

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2015, 11:27:41 am »

The data given in Figure 2 of my article is pretty representative of the kinds of deviations from 0 you should expect in the a* and b* channels. I do have Lab readouts for a number of papers using the full quarter-tone range provided in the Outback printer evaluation target image. Variances around 0 tend to be within 1/2 a level; however, in some cases can go as high as 1 or so. The most neutral results I obtained were with Epson HPN in ABW mode. There is no systematic or obvious bias to greenish/brown gray emerging from the testing I did.

Would that be similar to your 3880 testing? Or is there a true gray color bias on the 3880?
Bob Rockefeller

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2015, 11:44:55 am »

The P800 exhibited considerably more neutral a* and b* values in the shadow tones than the 3880. Deviations from zero were generally larger with HPN printed in the 3880.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2015, 12:06:41 pm »

I meant to attach some data. Here it is.

tnargs

• Just testing, very testing
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2015, 03:30:09 am »

Thanks for the great review and in-depth contribution to this thread, Mark.

I would like to touch on the old war of Canon vs Epson. I have an old i9900 that has died, and I have lost touch with where the old war is at, these days. Whenever I see a review of either brand in this class of printer, comments are glowing. I wouldn't mind some unbiased advice on which brand/models I should be looking at in this class, as a re-entrant buyer.
“Symbolism exists to adorn and enrich, n

Bob Rockefeller

• Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2015, 06:18:48 am »

I would like to touch on the old war of Canon vs Epson. I have an old i9900 that has died, and I have lost touch with where the old war is at, these days. Whenever I see a review of either brand in this class of printer, comments are glowing. I wouldn't mind some unbiased advice on which brand/models I should be looking at in this class, as a re-entrant buyer.

Would this be best in a new thread with a new title?
Bob Rockefeller
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up