Equipment & Techniques > Beginner's Questions

semantics: purple vs violet

<< < (3/3)

Otto Phocus:

--- Quote from: Telecaster on July 08, 2015, 05:21:41 pm ---Ack! Quora is full of it. In fact most of the Internet, judging by Google search results, is full of it. All color is "perceived color caused entirely by the human eyes and brain working together." The notion that some colors are linked directly to specific wavelength ranges and will always appear the same regardless of context is nonsense.

--- End quote ---

As long as you realize that it was you that introduced the underlined phrase, and not I. Therefore your new argument does not invalidate my previous statement. I made no statement about color appearing the same.  That is a completely different argument. There is a huge difference between color existing and color being perceived. :)

Specific colors are linked directly to specific wavelengths.  Color will not always be perceived or appear to be the same regardless of context.  No scientist is claiming otherwise.

MarkM:

--- Quote from: Otto Phocus on June 24, 2015, 07:54:12 am ---Violet is an individual "true" color in the spectrum.  It occupies about 380-420nm.  Violet can be described using objective terms purely from a physical standpoint.

Purple is a combination of Red (620–750 nm) and Blue (450–495 nm).  Purple is a perceived color caused entirely by the human eyes and brain working together.  One can not describe purple in objective terms.

--- End quote ---

This idea is tossed around a lot, but it's not really true. Purples and magentas can just as easily be described in spectral terms, they just require more than one wavelength of light to do it. There's nothing more or less objective or "true" about a description of light with a full spectrum than the description of light of a single wavelength.

Isaac:

--- Quote from: Otto Phocus on July 09, 2015, 07:52:03 am ---There is a huge difference between color existing and color being perceived. :)
--- End quote ---

What's your preferred definition of color?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version