Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different Viewpoint  (Read 1931 times)

churly

Different Viewpoint
« on: June 26, 2015, 07:41:28 pm »

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Chuck
Chuck Hurich

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Different Viewpoint
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 07:34:53 am »

Chuck  - I think compositionally this has some problems. The flower is "pushed to the edge" of frame and the pistil which is somewhat of a focal point is "pushed to the bottom" - so the issue here is framing generally. If this is a crop you could look at it with more space around these elements.  That said, the tones and colors are quite beautiful - and you have the power of complimentary colors i.e. purples/yellows working here. I would always be drawn to shooting this especially with those colors/tones. The graininess/noise is distracting in an image like this. /B
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:52:51 am by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 03:09:37 pm »

I like the colours and structure. The visual focus for me is the tip of the pistil (the stigma), but focus seems to be a little further back.

You know the three parts of a pistil, from top to bottom -- stigma, style, ovary -- remembered by the following conversation:
- there's no stigma to being a botanist
- there's no style, either
- ovary funny

churly

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 06:06:25 pm »

Brandt and Scott - thanks for the thoughtful comments.  The idea was to be looking past the flower towards the hints of things in the green light but I clearly didn't hit it and also also missed the focus.  The fate of a fuzzy concept.  :)

You know the three parts of a pistil, from top to bottom -- stigma, style, ovary -- remembered by the following conversation:
- there's no stigma to being a botanist
- there's no style, either
- ovary funny

I've never heard that one but will put into my memory map.

Chuck
Chuck Hurich
Pages: [1]   Go Up