Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: update to COP 8.3 - all image previews blurry - thousand of images missing  (Read 65855 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

I found this happens when i open session created in CO7 end nothing happens until i selected all session images and upgraded process to CO8 for them.

Upgrading the process version can result in (slightly) different looking images, so it makes sense that the previews are renewed. If there is an issue with generating the previews on certain hardware configurations, then those images will obviously be affected. Seems logical to me, and still point in the direction of a combination of hardware/drivers as the root cause, because not everybody is affected.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

I just noticed that there is a version update available, to V 8.3.1 .
Maybe that changes something?

Cheers,
Bart

The View

I still have the problem with blurry previews.

I turned open CL on and off and it does not help.

Landscape images are cannot be processed in CO 8 because all leafs and grass is turned into foam without detail. It is like my 5D III turned into a 3 megapixel camera.

Images put out by CO 8 are good and sharp. A preview of the output in Bridge (sRGB only, as Bridge CS6 cannot see files in their native color space) far outdo the preview in CO 8 (which displays a wider color gamut on my wide gamut Nec pa271w and should be superior)

I checked out Camera RAW, and the previews are blurry as well.

Just in case, I have put in another support case with Phase One, but I am getting the suspicion that one or both graphics cards in my retina MacBook Pro are bad.

Today I'll contact with Applecare.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

The View

Today I went to the Apple store and they ran a stress test on my machine, which it passed.

But they told me I'm not the only one with such problems whose machines passed the stress test.

I'm now certain that it's my computer.

Because I opened up the images in Camera RAW - and they were also blurry.

Applecare mentioned it might be bad RAM on my graphics card.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:00:16 am by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Today I went to the Apple store and they ran a stress test on my machine, which it passed.

But they told me I'm not the only one with such problems whose machines passed the stress test.

I'm now certain that it's my computer.

Because I opened up the images in Camera RAW - and they were also blurry.

Applecare mentioned it might be bad RAM on my graphics card.

Hi,

That's what makes it so difficult for the folks at Phase One to find a solution. They need to be able and reproduce the issue first, only then can they try and drill down to probable causes. Maybe it's the hardware, maybe not. There was a recent thread about catalog corruption that seems to be caused by Nikon NX altering the Raws, making them act up for other Raw processors...

Are your Raws, Nikon altered ones by any chance? Did you share a Raw fille with Capture One's support people to verify if they can reproduce the issue on other hardware?

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:16:50 pm by BartvanderWolf »

The View

SOLVED: Blurry Previews
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2015, 03:56:05 pm »

Logic board/graphics card were replaced on my retina MacBook Pro.

The previews are better now, and lost their blurriness.

Looks like the graphics card was the issue.

Question: Should I rebuild all previews? Even though the previews are now better, they were created with the old graphics card.

I think I need to just delete the folder with the previews, correct? If yes, do you know where that folder is located?

PS: Tried to put the result into the original thread title, but it looks like one cannot edit that thread title.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:01:43 pm by The View »

The View

Re: update to COP 8.3 - all image previews blurry - thousand of images missing
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2015, 05:17:33 pm »

Update:

Upon further examination I must say the preview quality of CO 8 does not match the real output quality.

Reason: most likely that the preview is a heavily compressed JPEG.

As a consequence you are basically flying blind in regard to detail when editing images. The preset sharpening of CO 8 is very aggressive, and it's easy to overshoot that way.

For future editions and more powerful computers it would be great to have the RAW data directly processed to a screen image instead of using a compressed jpeg.

It's a problem that all RAW processors share and likely is put in place as our computers may not be powerful enough to do RAW processing on the fly for WYSIWYG editing.

Can you imagine the calculating power you'd need to process a 60 or 80 MP image from a mf back?

So, there's really room for improvement.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2015, 06:13:37 pm »

Update:

Upon further examination I must say the preview quality of CO 8 does not match the real output quality.

Reason: most likely that the preview is a heavily compressed JPEG.

Hi,

At what zoom level? The previews that are created when importing the file are limited in (user defined) size, when zooming in further the preview is generated from the Raw data itself (although only the part of the image that fits the display).

The preset sharpening of CO 8 is very aggressive, and it's easy to overshoot that way.

It's easy enough to change that to a user defined default style that is applied upon importing the files.

It's a problem that all RAW processors share and likely is put in place as our computers may not be powerful enough to do RAW processing on the fly for WYSIWYG editing.

Can you imagine the calculating power you'd need to process a 60 or 80 MP image from a mf back?

Since that wouldn't fit most displays at 100% zoom, only the part that is displayed needs to be rendered on-the-fly, and given the bandwidth of most videocard pipelines, at 8-bit/channel. Any zoom level other than 100% will be unreliable, due to resampling artifacts.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 06:24:59 am by BartvanderWolf »

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2015, 04:50:39 am »

+1 to Bart.

There is nothing inferior about the way Capture One shows previews.

Firstly they are not 'heavily compressed' Jpeg.

What resolution is your monitor and what resolution are the previews set to?  Thats probably the two most important questions!  :)

On my MBP retina I have no problems working with 80MP files.  Its true you need a decent system for heavy files like this, but I am still only using a laptop.  It is more than adequate.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up