Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to convince Sony to do lossless raw on A7RII and others?  (Read 76414 times)

stevesanacore

Re: How to convince Sony to do lossless raw on A7RII and others?
« Reply #160 on: August 13, 2015, 07:57:12 am »

Nikon has indeed been really slow reacting on the T/S lens front and I would probably have done the same had stitching not been my preferred solution for such images (I don't have productivity constraints).

This being said, I sincerely hope for you that they doesn't announce next gen T/S lenses in the coming months, but I am pretty sure they will... ;) Future will tell.

There are of course significant issue remaining in their lenses line up (macro lenses needing a refresh, 135mm f2.0 and the T/S of course), but they have done a good job recently at filling the gaps and most of their recent designs have been best in class. I am not too worried for them.

Cheers,
Bernard

If they do, no problem, if they are better than the Canon versions, I'll just use them on my Sony along with all my other Canon, Leica and Nikon lenses I currently have. At this point after shooting with the A7R, I'm spoiled by the mirrorless design. The flawless live view is to me, a much better way to shoot with TS-E and any manual focus lenses. Having the digital viewfinder is amazing for focus in bright light outdoors and in no light at night.  I will miss the handling of the Nikon bodies, But the new A7R2 is a bit better than the previous version and having IBIS for all my lenses is a huge bonus for me. I do hope they update the firmware to eliminate the lossy compressed raw.... where this whole conversation started. Seems like a silly compromise to me.
We don't know what we don't know.

stevesanacore

« Reply #161 on: August 13, 2015, 08:11:26 am »

Early cars were slower than a horse.

Mirrorless is really quite revolutionary and opens up a lot of possibilities, once the technology becomes mature. High resolution and electronic shitters allow for simultaneous hi-res stills and 8k video shooting for action photography. Face recognition and fast processors also allow for much greater accuracy when shooting action. Constant recording and buffering allow for taking a shot after the event has actually taken place (2s buffer means you can press the shutter up to 2s after an action has taken place and still get the shot). It also allows for truly huge dynamic range - instead of taking a single 1s exposure, just use a firmware option to take 100 1/100s exposures and add up however many is needed to give correct exposure in each part of the image. Finally, the electronic nature of the display means that you are no longer physically tied to the camera, opening up remote tethering options for things like aerial and submersible drone photography.

You can shoot 8K raw motion now, or very soon, with the latest RED with some limitations, but it's not a practical substitute for a small quick handling DSLR for a still shooter. For my lifestyle work, the ability to roll 8k raw video and pick the perfect moment would be fantastic with a small camera like the Sony. I agree it's all coming one day as storage and energy issues resolve themselves. Saving 24 8k raw images for every second I shoot will require insane storage. And that's if we find 24 per second is enough ;-)

We don't know what we don't know.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #162 on: August 13, 2015, 11:15:54 am »

If I may be allowed to hijack the thread to a completely unrelated topic -

HAS ANYONE ACTUALLY APPROACHED SONY ABOUT UNCOMPRESSED RAW ?

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

adias

« Reply #163 on: August 13, 2015, 01:19:37 pm »

Edmund

I'm sure many did. I watched a B&H video with a factory rep stating that they are aware of the RAW compression objection. He stopped short of promising a change but he gave the impression that one would be offered. The question is when and for which models.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #164 on: August 13, 2015, 01:42:51 pm »

I'm sure many did. I watched a B&H video with a factory rep stating that they are aware of the RAW compression objection. He stopped short of promising a change but he gave the impression that one would be offered. The question is when and for which models.

OK - that gives us a good reason for waiting for the MODEL AFTER THE NEXT :)

The next model's electronics platform should be just about finalised about now, and it might not be possible to do any mods, but the model after the next is probably under development.

The same A7R2 sensor may though quite possibly have a Nikon mode, so you could get lossless from it in a Nikon, without the stabilisation and other addictive paraphernalia :)

Edmund
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:45:25 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

rdonson

« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2015, 03:08:54 pm »

Edmund

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0717419525/interview-kimio-maki-of-sony-the-customer-s-voice-is-the-most-important-data-for-me
Regards,
Ron
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up