Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: After update to CC 2015, older versions will no longer work  (Read 9827 times)

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas

After seeing the prompt to update Photoshop CC from the 2014 to 2015 version, I followed the prompts and it updated.  However during this update both CC and CC 2014 have been corrupted, i.e. the update changed something in the CC and CC 2014 files so they will not run.  the photoshop.exe is still there.  I am running win7 64 bit.

Stupid me,  of course CC 2015 does not have any of the filters I use installed, plugins, nothing.  It's just like starting over.  When the update from CC to CC 2014 occurred this did not happen.  Now hours of work need to be done by me to find the various plugins, move  them etc.  Which I really did not want to do.  Both Nik and Topaz and photokit will potentially be problematic. 

I can fall back to a older image of the drive prior to the update, which I will unless I can figure out a way to get CC and CC 2014 working again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: After update to CC 2015, older versions will no longer work
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 05:33:32 pm »

Yes - do most of your editing in Lightroom and reserve PS CC-2014 for those things LR cannot do. Your experience confirms my instinct not to be an early adopter of PS 2015 - I use PS so seldomly these days anyhow that upgrading it is a weighing of very marginal benefit for perhaps larger marginal risk; the application is so mature it seems there isn't a whole lot to be gained. The upgrade to Lightroom CC from Lightroom 5 was seamless (access to all plugins conveyed automatically), as was the merging of three previous catalogs into one master catalog in LRCC that has everything since I started using LR. If Photoshop can't offer a user-friendly upgrade path, why bother.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 05:37:38 pm »

Hello Mark,

Yes, I should have stopped at the LR CC 6 update as it worked.  Sadly windows system restore only partly fixed this, so I will have to image back a month. My damn fault I should have imaged before this update.  But all the past updates have not done this. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:39:34 pm »

I sympathize. It's impossible to predict when trouble will strike and of course always happens when least expected. :-)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 05:39:41 pm »

Because of the backlash last year when Adobe added CC 2014 and left CC in place, this time Adobe decided to wipe previous versions when installing CC 2015. However, if you had paid attention when installing 2015, you would have noticed that the would do this. Alternatively, you could have clicked on the Advanced option you could had left the previous versions and install 2015. This is what I did since I needed to keep 2014.1 and have 2015.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 05:42:19 pm »

................. Alternatively, you could have clicked on the Advanced option you could had left the previous versions and install 2015.

And did Adobe make it clear and obvious to customers before installing that they could trigger such an option?

Simon Garrett

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 05:47:26 pm »

And did Adobe make it clear and obvious to customers before installing that they could trigger such an option?

I can't say quantitatively how clear and obvious it was, but I noticed the option.  However, the update process wasn't very smooth IMHO. 

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 06:04:29 pm »

Because of the backlash last year when Adobe added CC 2014 and left CC in place, this time Adobe decided to wipe previous versions when installing CC 2015. However, if you had paid attention when installing 2015, you would have noticed that the would do this. Alternatively, you could have clicked on the Advanced option you could had left the previous versions and install 2015. This is what I did since I needed to keep 2014.1 and have 2015.

Yes I should have paid better attention and not expected things to work just like they did with CC and CC 2014, stupid me.  You are right, its in the release notes, I missed this as I was in a hurry.  If you go to advanced. you can un-check "remove older versions".

So now I go back in time to 05_05_2015 and start all over.

Live and Learn.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 07:12:28 pm »

Thanks, Jeff. I'm glad I read this thread before I did the upgrade. I might well have missed the advanced options. It would have been pretty hard to miss the warning. Once prepared for it, I don't really mind having to install new plugins; since I use it as a reason to upgrade my plugins -- or at least the ones that need more than just getting copied into the new Ps Plugins directory -- to the latest versions, which I never seen to find the time to do. And it's great to decide on a program by program basis for which ones you want to keep old versions.

By the way, it's the smoothest upgrade that I've experienced since CC came out. Not that that's a high bar, but credit where credit is due.

And the Adobe servers are *fast* now. On opening day of this upgrade, I was getting better then 50 Mb/s download speed.

Jim

Some Guy

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 10:03:02 pm »

And the Adobe servers are *fast* now. On opening day of this upgrade, I was getting better then 50 Mb/s download speed.

Jim

Not so much for me.  It's taking about 3-4 hours at 50Kb/s with my not so wonderful AT&T DSL.  Odd my upload speed is faster than my download speed too.  ???

I just got the DNG Converter 9.1 update too and it was about 63 Kb/s download and couple of hours as it is pretty big (217MB I think.).

SG

Arlen

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 11:39:45 pm »

I saw the check box allowing the uninstallation of CC 2014 to be avoided, but decided to let it go ahead and uninstall older versions, forgetting that I would have to reinstall plugins. I did however take the precaution of creating a restore point in Windows 7, so I can roll the whole process back if I need to.

None of the plugins I use (Photokit Sharpener, Nik Collection, Topaz Remask, DxO Viewpoint) have released installers yet that work with CC 2015. However, as a temporary workaround, I did what Adobe says not to do, and just dragged the contents of the old CC 2014 Plugins folder to the Plugins folder for CC 2015. (CC 2015's old-version uninstaller left the old Plugins folders alone, probably so that we can see what we had there.) They all work fine in CC 2015. When the plugin makers release their new compatible installers, I'll go back and do it the *right* way, to avoid any potential problems in the future.

This approach may also work for others, possibly depending on which plugins you have.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 11:45:09 pm »

I hope your restore point works better than mine did.  6 hours now, finally have most of working environment back all because I missed a check box and IMO said check box was not given enough headlights by Adobe.   

System restore, actually screwed it up worse, so I just reloaded a image of the drive.  I normally would have imaged before this, but up till now and for the last 4 or 5 updates, changes etc. the removal of older code was not offered. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 12:40:02 am »

Not so much for me.  It's taking about 3-4 hours at 50Kb/s with my not so wonderful AT&T DSL.  Odd my upload speed is faster than my download speed too.  ???

I just got the DNG Converter 9.1 update too and it was about 63 Kb/s download and couple of hours as it is pretty big (217MB I think.).

By my hp 32S, 217MB at 63 Kb/s would take 27,555 seconds or 7.65 hours. Ugh. You have all my sympathy.

Jim

MBMPhotography

• Blog and beyond on G+
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 04:37:11 am »

Well in my case download was very fast ... but I haven't been since then able to even launch the CC 2015 as it crasheses every time on my windows 7 computer. Yes I did log-out/log-in, log-out/log-in, log-out/log-in, log-out/log-in, log-out/log-in from the Creative Cloud but nothing except the crash at every attempt of launching the Photoshop. I will have to try to reinstall the 2014 version :(
Sony A7rIII, A6500,

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 07:15:19 am »

None of the plugins I use (Photokit Sharpener, Nik Collection, Topaz Remask, DxO Viewpoint) have released installers yet that work with CC 2015.

Ih, as far as I know, PhotoKit Sharpener works fine with Photoshop CC 2015 (at least is does with mine) course I did have to copy the main plug-in folder over to my 2025 plug-ins folder.

jrp

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 08:03:35 am »

If you have Extensions, they will not install properly into 2015, apparently:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/7647656

Extension panel dialogue buttons will be borked.

If you did not pay attention, and went with the default install process, deleting earlier versions, your main option is to restore from backup.

Things were never this chaotic pre-subscription.

Expect 2015.0.1 soonish.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 08:22:31 am »

Adobe has published this advice: http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2015/06/keeping-previous-versions-installed-when-installing-cc-2015-applications.html

Looking at the reasons for keeping the previous version operational, one wonders whether it wouldn't have made more sense for them to have offered uninstalling the old version as a selectable option rather than retaining it as the option.

Arlen

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 09:44:03 am »

Ih, as far as I know, PhotoKit Sharpener works fine with Photoshop CC 2015 (at least is does with mine) course I did have to copy the main plug-in folder over to my 2025 plug-ins folder.

As I mentioned above, doing it that way worked fine for me too, Jeff. And also for all of my other plugins. But from what Adobe said in its advice page that Mark referenced, I'm guessing that approach won't work with all plugins.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 10:38:51 am »

As I mentioned above, doing it that way worked fine for me too, Jeff. And also for all of my other plugins. But from what Adobe said in its advice page that Mark referenced, I'm guessing that approach won't work with all plugins.

Exactly, and the extension Manager has issues also. 

And I believe, if you told it to remove 2014 during the update, even if you uninstall 2015, 2014 will not come back as an option, and even if it did the windows registry is by then all messed up. 

I was in a hurry and did not pay attention, and should have waited or tried it on my surface pro first. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2015, 09:54:53 pm »

I thought it was pretty clear.  Here's the screenshot of the dialog box you get when you click the update button. The link to more about updating explains the advanced options and keeping old versions.

I had no issues, everything moved over to the new version.  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up