Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony a7r II announced...  (Read 45052 times)

Telecaster

Re: Sony a7r II announced...
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:44 am »

The Capa story you quote is in fact just that a story. Those "missing rolls" were never exposed. The darkroom "disaster" was made up to cover the fact.
The Robert Capa D-Day Project has received the 2014 Society of Professional Journalists Sigma Delta Chi (SDX) Award for Research About Journalism.
http://www.nearbycafe.com/artandphoto/photocritic/major-stories/major-series-2014/robert-capa-on-d-day/

There is a long, very long, there are vested interests at stake here, series of posts that show that Capa only exposed those images that we know of, which in no way diminishes their power.

Fascinating. And IMO convincing…the melted D-Day negatives story is BS. I highly recommend checking out the link Chris has provided. The article installments it, in turn, links to are a genuine eye opener.

-Dave-

Chris Livsey

« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2015, 02:39:02 am »

That's the old ones at the old high prices. But thanks for looking.

Hoodman appear to have UK distribution but not for the cards, just found that but agree source can be iffy, will look at US, thanks for the pointers.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2015, 03:08:03 am »

I have experienced SD failures with Sandisk, Sony (happened twice, ironic, I know...) and Transcend. I believe Sandisk with CF. I typically buy the fastest card available at time of purchase.

While it may be fun, it's not necessarily comfortable to be on the cutting edge.

I am unsure why this generates such a heated debate. ;)

Now there, I'm with you.

Jeremy

hjulenissen

« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2015, 07:17:40 am »

To add to the anecdotal evidence, I have been using high end Sandisk CF cards for 11 years and have had zero failures or problems. They work well for me.

Bill
I have shot >55000 images since I bought my first DSLR (the actual number is significantly larger, but these are the ones that I have not deleted. Many I ought to have deleted, though.).

I have a mix of old and new, small and large, expensive and no-name cards.

Out of those images, I know of exactly 2 that came out corrupted. I believe that was a Canon camera software problem (the camera became non-responsive), but you never know.

This experience has made me very relaxed about memory cards. I have the feeling that those who report about massive problems with memory cards either:
1. Have had bad luck
2. Do something to their cameras/cards that I do not
3. Are examples of cherry-picking (one is more likely to share ones experiences if one has had problems that if not).

I am _not_ claiming that no-one has ever had any problems with memory cards. But I am suggesting that internet forum polls may not be a robust source of information about how frequent this happens.

Now, If my photography was highly paid once-in-a-lifetime events, I might want some redundance "just in case". I have reasonable redundance for my long-time-storage of images as I have experienced one harddrive failure in my life, and life is too short to generate personal statistics on 10-year-life-expectancy of hard-drives containing _all_ of your images.

-h
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 07:22:21 am by hjulenissen »

Petrus

« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2015, 07:43:24 am »

I had some problems ten years ago with first/second generation Canon DSLRs. At worst 1/3 of the frames on some cards were lost with strange carpet-like patterns on them. After getting new cards, none. During the past 3 years with Nikon D4 and D800e I have shot RAW on the main card and JPEG back-up on the secondary card. I have never needed the back-up. On my trips abroad I have happily shot with one-card Fujis, not making backups either, just being careful with the handling of the cards. Zero failures.

New Sony looks tempting, but after investing (too much already…) on the Fuji system, I'll wait and see for the final verdict. Retirement looming in the horizon, I have 2 more years to see where the world is going what comes to compact high IQ systems, before I have to give my complete Nikon gear back. Until then D800e is plenty good enough.

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2015, 08:47:00 am »

The last two pages have had absolutely nothing to do with the a7R Mk II.  Seems like a lengthy discussion of media card reliability should be a different thread.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2015, 09:01:11 am »

The last two pages have had absolutely nothing to do with the a7R Mk II.  Seems like a lengthy discussion of media card reliability should be a different thread.

It is interesting how easily a thread can get derailed sometimes.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

Isaac

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2015, 02:02:45 pm »

The last two pages have had absolutely nothing to do with the a7R Mk II.

Without actually putting hands on the camera there's little to be said; but that sensible silence can be filled by a speculative froth of chatter ;-)

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #128 on: June 16, 2015, 09:12:59 am »

Meanwhile some videos showing the AF with 3rd party lenses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdhvDg2dkiM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW36e_icsic

SecondFocus

• SecondFocus
« Reply #129 on: June 16, 2015, 11:33:24 pm »

I would be very interested in knowing if it has a completely silent mode. That is no shutter noise, no beeps no nothing. Thanks!

We should have one of the first cameras and maybe even a pre-production unit.  We'll keep you posted.  Now things get interesting.

Kevin Raber
Ian L. Sitren
[url=http://SecondFocus.co

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2015, 09:40:02 am »

Came into this thread to read about the new camera and maybe see some samples. Ended up reading 7 pages about memory cards. Oh well, what's LuLa without all the OT?

More fuel to the fire. The only card ever to fail on me was a PoS Transcend CF. Recovered the data with ZAR. Moved to Sandisk and Lexar since then. Not a single problem so far, for CF and SD. I use the dual slots in my D800 for overflow, not backup. My Credo has no such thing and I couldn't care less.

The "Biggest catastrophe" I have had was dunking a full Elinchrom Quadra in the sea. Cost me a great deal more than some images that I have a chance to recover.

I would buy the A7R II with or without dual card slots. Of all the list of things I want in a camera, that feature ranks way, way down.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Mary K

« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2015, 10:21:26 am »

I've used nothing but Sandisk cards since 2002, and have never had a card failure.  Dual card slots are nice to have, but raw compression and focus are more of an issue for me.
Mary Konchar

MatthewCromer

« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2015, 03:32:51 pm »

I would be very interested in knowing if it has a completely silent mode. That is no shutter noise, no beeps no nothing. Thanks!

Yes, it does.

Telecaster

« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2015, 04:10:30 pm »

Personally I think the OT account of Capa kinda blowing his D-Day assignment and then participating in a "ruined negatives" lie to cover that up is way more interesting than any new camera. But maybe it deserves its own thread…

-Dave-

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2015, 12:56:34 pm »

... But maybe it deserves its own thread…

No. Who cares?

Telecaster

« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2015, 04:26:51 pm »

No. Who cares?

Maybe anyone interested in history, journalists and how the latter's telling & retelling of the former is always something other than a pure & accurate version of it…and is in fact sometimes a willful falsification. But I grant you that a gearhead-dominated venue, with its small-picture (but large print size!) orientation, is maybe not the best place.

-Dave-

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2015, 04:39:16 pm »

... how the latter's telling & retelling of the former is always something other than a pure & accurate version of it…and is in fact sometimes a willful falsification.

Noooooo... don't say!?

... a gearhead-dominated venue, with its small-picture (but large print size!)...

The guy was there and brought back historic images. That's all I need and want to know. That there are always small-minded people with large desire to drag down everyone else to their level in mud is just another well-known and sad fact of life.

Telecaster

« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2015, 09:46:57 pm »

The guy was there and brought back historic images.

Indeed he was, and did. All credit to him for that.

That's all I need and want to know. That there are always small-minded people with large desire to drag down everyone else to their level in mud is just another well-known and sad fact of life.

IMO this misses the point. Capa himself owned up, in writing, to the fact that he had a loss of nerve on D-Day. Who could possibly blame him? The lying originated not with him but with his editor at Life, and he was more or less compelled to go along with it. Worse, the lying continued at least up 'til mid 2014, with Time/Life going so far as to (poorly) fake "damaged" negatives in order to perpetuate it. This isn't about dragging anyone down but rather getting the facts straight. Personally I'll take a disquieting truth over a comforting lie any day.

-Dave-
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up