Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: XT-1?  (Read 9288 times)

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
XT-1?
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:01:38 pm »

Heading out on a roadtrip with the family come monday.  I'm thinking about buying the Fuji and the 23mm.  Raber seems to love his.  Experience and thoughts?  This is for vacations and probably BTS of shoots.

Thanks,
CB

Manoli

Re: XT-1?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 09:16:33 pm »

(1) C1 PRO-V8, ISO 1000, 100% screen crop, No adjustments, sharpening or clarity.
(2) Iridient Developer 3, ISO 1000, ID default settings inc sharpening and B&W conversion.
(3) LR 5, ISO 400, No sharpening , clarity:4, (light orange filter, IIRC)

All shot with an X-E2 (identical sensor) with a Leica 24mm on a Fujifilm adapter.
No experience with the X-T1, but I prefer the ergonomics and feel of the X-E2.
Luv it !
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 09:22:50 pm by Manoli »

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 01:26:44 am »

You're not leaving much time to set up the camera and get comfortable with the dials.
I got the the XT1 when it came out and have an X E2 as a back up. Both are wonderful cameras for my needs. Went out the other evening photographing bands playing outdoors. I never would have thought a few years ago I could photograph at night and make 2 ft wide prints from the results.
For me the Fuji system is firstly all about the lenses. Unless you really like the 23mm focal length I'd go with a zoom. Some are as good as the primes.
Secondly, it's the weight. After switching from Canon I've dropped at least 8kg out of my backpack with no loss of quality.
David

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 08:42:27 am »

I agree with Dave that you won't have much time to get comfortable. The X-T1 is a great improvement over the X Pro 1, but it's still *very* different from a DSLR. If you think of it as a glorified point-and-shoot to start, it might be easier to figure out (you know, put the center point on the subject, hold the shutter halfway down until the light turns green, recompose, and shoot :) Don't expect to get AF on fast action, or easily set up thumb button focus, etc.)

BTW I don't mean that in a bad way -- I'm almost completely switched over to Fuji from Canon, keeping the Canons only for sport action, really long lenses, and multiple flash work. The X-T1 is a very capable little camera, and the 23mm lens is terrific. I can fit a 4-camera, 9-lens kit into a tiny backpack for air travel, and at the end of a long day of shooting, I no longer feel like I was hit by a truck. The Fujis have changed how I shoot for the better in all kinds of ways.

If this is strictly for family and travel, and you won't want any other lenses, you might look at the X100T. That's a fixed lens RF-style camera with a good 23mm f/2 lens. I carry my X100s everywhere.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Chris Barrett

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 09:33:34 am »

Thanks for the info.  Since we're going to Niagara Falls, I may indeed get the weather-sealed zoom.  Dials for all the important settings and apertures on the lens... what's to get used to?

Ken Bennett

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 12:05:39 pm »

Dials for all the important settings and apertures on the lens... what's to get used to?

That's exactly what I said when I got the X Pro 1's and X-E1's. :)

It's a fun camera, hope you enjoy it.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 12:45:06 pm »

Just rented the Fuji X-Pro, which I believe is similar, except that it has the combo optical/electronic view finder. Overall quality seemed fine, except that I hated the controls. I found that I was constantly pressing buttons accidentally and altering the settings. Also, I didn't like the EVF much, though perhaps that is improved in XT-1? Also, on the XPro, the on/off switch around the shutter release button is very easy to move accidentally, but don't recall if that is the same on the XT-1. I have similar impression of the Fuji X100, which I find even more problematic in these respects because it is smaller.

The menus are very complex as well.

I think they are trying to give these cameras too many functions and I am looking elsewhere for a compact camera.

Manoli

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 01:42:44 pm »

I think they are trying to give these cameras too many functions and I am looking elsewhere for a compact camera.

Your search could be short lived - the Leica Q arrives next Wednesday -  ;)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 03:24:42 pm »

Your search could be short lived - the Leica Q arrives next Wednesday -  ;)

Well, a Leica M or Minolta CLE were what I preferred for a small camera before digital. However, nothing like the CLE now and digital Leica M is too expensive for me. From what I read about other Leica digital compacts, they are basically just rebranded Panasonics.

All I really only need manual exposure for something like this, and manual focus is fine if it has an excellent rangefinder or focus confirmation. Certainly would use autofocus if I have it though. IMO, lots of controls on the back of a small camera doesn't work well. I think Fuji really missed the mark here so far, though I think the basic concept and quality are very good. Perhaps in the future....

Manoli

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 03:58:58 pm »

Well, a Leica M or Minolta CLE were what I preferred for a small camera before digital. However, nothing like the CLE now and digital Leica M is too expensive for me. From what I read about other Leica digital compacts, they are basically just rebranded Panasonics ...

David,

This isn't a rebranded Panasonic - I've seen  the leaked Leica photos / page which I think Google cached before Leica caught their mistake. But it's alleged to be a FF fast 28mm - fixed. (Sony RX-1 or whatever it's called competitor). Looks classic Leica build / quality. No hints, though, about that small little detail called 'price' ...

Best,
M

BradSmith

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 07:52:31 pm »

Since we're going to Niagara Falls..........

Chris,
I don't know if you've been there before, but I grew up there.  Two recommendations, both of which will definitely require the water resistant cameras:  Definitely take the Maid of the Mist boat ride and go on the Cave of the Winds tour (walk). 

A potential third activity - Downriver about 5 miles, in Lewiston is a newer fun attraction, a jetboat ride back up river through the rapids to the Whirlpool area.

For inspiration - I think that my favorite image of the falls was one taken by Jeff Schewe and written about here on Lula.  See this link to Jeff's site.   http://schewephoto.com/ETTR/  where he discusses it.

Enjoy your trip
Brad

Ken Bennett

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 09:16:39 pm »

Just rented the Fuji X-Pro.......Also, I didn't like the EVF much, though perhaps that is improved in XT-1? Also, on the XPro, the on/off switch around the shutter release button is very easy to move accidentally,

The EVF in the X Pro is nowhere near as good as the X-T1, and the on/off switch issue is well known (I fix it with a piece of gaffer's tape).

Rand47

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 12:26:23 pm »

Chris,

If you've picked up an X-T1, get the video that Kevin did were he walks through all the settings options.  It will really help with sorting the camera.   Though you are correct re "dials and buttons" and "what's to figure out" - in one sense, the camera has what I'll call "basic underlying settings options" that need to be configured to your liking/understanding in order to get the most from this amazing little machine.

I'm now 100% switched over from FF and very pleased with the output.

Make sure the first thing you do is check firmware version on the new camera and update it to the latest firmware.  There have been signficant improvements made that are important, IMO.

Best of luck... hope your trip is going well.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Chris Barrett

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 12:36:32 pm »

Thanks for all the advice!  My wife took the first shift driving, so I've been pouring over the manual, upgrading firmware and adjusting settings.  Initial shots have been quite impressive.  I'm also really loving the 16-55 2.8.  I got the 23mm too, but like the zoom so much, I may return it.

CB

mbaginy

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 01:39:24 pm »

... Definitely take the Maid of the Mist boat ride and go on the Cave of the Winds tour (walk).
Nice to hear that the Maid of the Mist is still in operation.  I visited the falls in 1966 with my parents and sister and sailed on her.  Even have some crummy (126) instamatic shots.  Fond memories.

mbaginy

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2015, 01:48:05 pm »

The EVF in the X Pro is nowhere near as good as the X-T1, and the on/off switch issue is well known (I fix it with a piece of gaffer's tape).
I have both the X-Pro1 and X-T1.  By far, the X-T1 is the more modern camera, with an improved viewfinder and handling which I prefer.  The X-Pro1 is a more conventional camera body which relies on the menus for changing settings.  The X-T1 is my current favorite since I can adjust all settings I need using dials - just like conventional analog bodies.

I still use the X-Pro1, usually as a second body (not a backup) so I don't need to change lenses.  My dream camera would allow features I don't want, to be removed from the camera / menu completely.  Leica M menus come close.

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2015, 07:09:55 pm »

Chris, if you haven't already done so you may find customising the Q menu helpful.
With the latest firmware I have set the four way controller to set the focus points and no longer use the other two function buttons (set up by pressing and holding the Disp/back button. A short press will give you your display options). I bought some Sugru to increase the height of controller buttons.
If you press and hold the Q button you can change what is displayed by then pressing the menu button. My top row now reads: Timer, Shutter type, AF mode, MF assist. Customising that Q button has given me a new camera in terms of usability.
Hope you enjoy the trip!
David
Pages: [1]   Go Up