Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video files and lightroom  (Read 891 times)

luiscl

Video files and lightroom
« on: May 24, 2015, 10:03:50 am »

I have some old homemade footage that I would like to incorporate to Ligthroom. But I find two problems on wich I would appreciate your sugestions:

1. Some files are in formats that Ligthroom doesn't accept (vob and 3gp). I tried to change the vob extension to mpg without result. Is there any plug-in or trick I can usse to "force" Ligthroom to accept them? If not, I would like to convert them into any other format with these 3 conditions: a) no quality loose; b) the more "universal" format possible (lets say something like jpg for photography); and c) of course, fully Ligthroom compatible. What format and software for this task do you sugest?

2. Once the previous problem is solved, I'm not sure how to import the video footage into Ligthroom: a) within the same catalog where stills are, or b) to create a new catalog only for video. I'm leaned towards one single catalog (with stills and video files), but safety is a big concern as it will have to manage over 80.000 files and something like 500gb of information (and growing quickly). What's your recomendation?

Some some more information:
• vob files are the resulting files from capturing analog video recorded in a home videocamera of the 90' with Pinnacle Sudio some years ago (in fact they are inside the tipical vs-audio and vs-video folder structure, but I never created indexes, subtitles, etc. So the only information in these files are the original video and audio).
• 3gp files are video files recorded by an HTC phone 3-5 years ago.
• In the near future I don't intend to go into further editing my footage. I only want to use Library module in LR. Nevertheless, in a few years I may want to edit these files.

Thanks in advance to all you.

Manoli

Re: Video files and lightroom
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 10:32:19 am »

1. Some files are in formats that Ligthroom doesn't accept (vob and 3gp).[...] What format and software for this task do you sugest?

You'll need a program such as Video Converter Ultimate. There are other alternatives, for sure - try a google search.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Video files and lightroom
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 11:02:07 am »

...but safety is a big concern as it will have to manage over 80.000 files and something like 500gb of information (and growing quickly). What's your recommendation?

I work on a catalogue that's close to 600k files, growing 2k a week, and I don't know how many Tb of photos. Just make sure you have proper backup.
Pages: [1]   Go Up