Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: What has the Adobe LR team been doing since LR5 for 2 years?  (Read 53645 times)

ButchM

Re: What has the Adobe LR team been doing since LR5 for 2 years?
« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2015, 07:57:39 pm »

Here yeh be Butchy...take your time to digest.

http://www.cipa.jp/stats/documents/common/cr200.pdf

It appears to me the numbers indicate a downard trend for the past four consecutive years ... I know I am not as gifted as you are in these matters and I shouldn't question your superior evaluation ... But I wouln't think your supporting data backs up your claim of an expanding market .... but hey ... sure beat them there film camera sales from yesteryear though ... as if that matters.

chez

« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2015, 08:05:47 pm »

It appears to me the numbers indicate a downard trend for the past four consecutive years ... I know I am not as gifted as you are in these matters and I shouldn't question your superior evaluation ... But I wouln't think your supporting data backs up your claim of an expanding market .... but hey ... sure beat them there film camera sales from yesteryear though ... as if that matters.

The potential market over the last 10 years is huge. Many new consumers entered the camera market when it went digital. Many of this potential market is untapped. The market has hugely expanded in the last 10 years...all potential customers if they get the right product.

So Butch you still have not answered my question to you. If you were in charge of LR, would you put your focus onto the declining professional market...which by the way you most likely have wrapped up in the CC bundle, or would you focus on this huge new consumer market and it's wants to go mobile. I'd love to hear your logic...if there is some.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #162 on: May 31, 2015, 08:26:58 pm »

* File rename...cannot easily edit the existing file name manually... We have to write down the old file name, F2 to pick a rename template, just use a custom text and type back in most of the same characters again. This happens a lot because I want to remove the word Edit from a filename from a round trip to Photoshop. I am not complaining about Ps adding Edit to the name, that is useful, but I do not want to send a file to someone with the word edit in the filename. I have other reasons to change a file name as well.
That's the faffy way to do it. The easy way is done by simply clicking on filename as seen in screenshot below.  :)
[Oh and yes to lots of the the things you suggested]
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

ButchM

« Reply #163 on: May 31, 2015, 08:45:14 pm »

The potential market over the last 10 years is huge. Many new consumers entered the camera market when it went digital. Many of this potential market is untapped. The market has hugely expanded in the last 10 years...all potential customers if they get the right product.

So Butch you still have not answered my question to you. If you were in charge of LR, would you put your focus onto the declining professional market...which by the way you most likely have wrapped up in the CC bundle, or would you focus on this huge new consumer market and it's wants to go mobile. I'd love to hear your logic...if there is some.

I've answered your question several times in this exchange ... it seems you have chosen to ignore the answer. Perhaps if you could step out of the past decade into the current one, you could recognizee where I addressed your question more than once.

You continually revisit that there was a market expansion over the past decade ... Everyone knows that. That point has never been in dispute. That was then. This is now.

Where we disagree is your prediction of how rapid, if at all, the market will continue to grow over the next decade. Your own numbers illustrate that the market has not grown over the past four years of record ... and by all indications that trend is not going to change direction any time soon. Apparently, you are content to ignore that fact as well.

aduke

« Reply #164 on: May 31, 2015, 08:55:07 pm »

* File rename...cannot easily edit the existing file name manually... We have to write down the old file name, F2 to pick a rename template, just use a custom text and type back in most of the same characters again. This happens a lot because I want to remove the word Edit from a filename from a round trip to Photoshop. I am not complaining about Ps adding Edit to the name, that is useful, but I do not want to send a file to someone with the word edit in the filename. I have other reasons to change a file name as well.

Actually, you can preset LR to use whatever filename format you desire. I've set my LR Preferences to use a combination of Filename and Copyname for the filename of externally edited images.

You can find this in Preferences>External Editing>Edit Externally File naming.

I hope this helps you some.

Alan

chez

« Reply #165 on: May 31, 2015, 09:40:20 pm »

I've answered your question several times in this exchange ... it seems you have chosen to ignore the answer. Perhaps if you could step out of the past decade into the current one, you could recognizee where I addressed your question more than once.

You continually revisit that there was a market expansion over the past decade ... Everyone knows that. That point has never been in dispute. That was then. This is now.

Where we disagree is your prediction of how rapid, if at all, the market will continue to grow over the next decade. Your own numbers illustrate that the market has not grown over the past four years of record ... and by all indications that trend is not going to change direction any time soon. Apparently, you are content to ignore that fact as well.

You seem to be ignoring the segment I feel this growth will come from...the huge arising middle class of China and India which will drive consumer products for the next decade. I also mentioned this a few times...which it appears you either did not read or chose to ignore.

The 1st wave of DSLR sales was very predictable...always happens with new breakthrough technology. The 2nd wave is just arising now...give it 5 years and you'll see another wave of consumerism driven by China and India.

So...would you focus on the declining professional market that is currently wrapped up with the CC program or would you focus on the much larger consumer market. I still have not heard your answer or logic behind it.

ButchM

« Reply #166 on: May 31, 2015, 10:05:57 pm »

You seem to be ignoring the segment I feel this growth will come from...the huge arising middle class of China and India which will drive consumer products for the next decade. I also mentioned this a few times...which it appears you either did not read or chose to ignore.

Do you actually read these threads you participate in or do you just simply repeat yourself ad nauseam. I actually adressed this specific point multiple times.

The 1st wave of DSLR sales was very predictable...always happens with new breakthrough technology. The 2nd wave is just arising now...give it 5 years and you'll see another wave of consumerism driven by China and India.

Once again, Old School predictions based on data from the past decade, not the current situation. The parameters have changed. Did you not read the annual reports from Nikon and Canon I linked for you? Their very own predictions for the Asian market do not indicate they expect such a significant growth for that market ... you know something they don't? I would wager they have a better idea, since they are actually based in ... Asia.

So...would you focus on the declining professional market that is currently wrapped up with the CC program or would you focus on the much larger consumer market.

Answered this multiple times. Go read it ... I've grown weary of repeating it. I'm surprised you aren't tired of asking.

I still have not heard your answer or logic behind it.

Simply because you are too lazy to go back and read it. You can't expect me to always spoon feed you the informtion. Sooner or later you are going to have to complete some tasks on your own.

chez

« Reply #167 on: May 31, 2015, 10:27:22 pm »

Do you actually read these threads you participate in or do you just simply repeat yourself ad nauseam. I actually adressed this specific point multiple times.

Once again, Old School predictions based on data from the past decade, not the current situation. The parameters have changed. Did you not read the annual reports from Nikon and Canon I linked for you? Their very own predictions for the Asian market do not indicate they expect such a significant growth for that market ... you know something they don't? I would wager they have a better idea, since they are actually based in ... Asia.

Answered this multiple times. Go read it ... I've grown weary of repeating it. I'm surprised you aren't tired of asking.

Simply because you are too lazy to go back and read it. You can't expect me to always spoon feed you the informtion. Sooner or later you are going to have to complete some tasks on your own.

Lots of double speak as usual from you.

Humor me Butch. Please explain which segment you would address and your logic behind it. Should be easy as you said you've already addressed this so just cut and paste. I'd truly would like to hear your logic. I spelled out what I would do and why...why not do the same...concisely and to the point...not a rant.

ButchM

« Reply #168 on: May 31, 2015, 10:46:10 pm »

Humor me Butch.

I've been doing that for about three pages already.  ;D

I'd truly would like to hear your logic.

Then by all means read my earlier answers. Even a project manager should be able to handle that task on their own. I can lead a horse to water ... but the horse has to quench his thirst of his on volition ...

chez

« Reply #169 on: May 31, 2015, 11:07:17 pm »

I've been doing that for about three pages already.  ;D

Then by all means read my earlier answers. Even a project manager should be able to handle that task on their own. I can lead a horse to water ... but the horse has to quench his thirst of his on volition ...

I guess that is your answer then...like I thought, nothing concrete. Butch, you talk a lot but say very little. Surely you can summarize your view of where Adobe should take LR and your reasoning behind this. Personally, I'm tired playing this game with you. When you can't answer a simple direct question without a bunch of doublespeak...it's time to just ignore. I know you'll post a response to this post...it's in your nature to be the last heard...hopefully this last response actually has some substance. So...will it be substance from you or will you just want to be heard.

ButchM

« Reply #170 on: May 31, 2015, 11:32:58 pm »

So...will it be substance from you or will you just want to be heard.

The substance was already presented several times. You simply refuse to recognize it. It's not my purpose in life to submit to your whims simply because you desire to be entertained. For goodness sake, you are capable of discovering and utilizing the "back" button on your web browser ... aren't you? It's really not that difficult.

BradSmith

« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2015, 01:05:10 am »

Children.  That's enough.  >:( Turn off the light and go to sleep.

Or close your bedroom door so the adults don't have to hear your quibbling and continue your tiring argument in private.

ihv

• http://www.flickr.com/ihv
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2015, 04:31:34 am »

Whiile I am reluctant to make a move to another solution, I would do so in a heatbeat if another viable option would become available...

Hopefully we start to see more competitors, some areas are being covered:

E.g. Adobe Premiere alternative, check out the comment (goes also towards Avid):

“Best of all, customers can install DaVinci Resolve Lite and use it on real projects for free. There is no monthly subscription, you don’t need to be connected to the cloud, and you don’t need to buy any proprietary hardware” - Grant Petty, CEO, Blackmagic Design

This NLE was already pretty serious for color grading, now with the upcoming 12th version it's becoming a fully featured NLE (i.e. mutlicam etc).

Then there is Affinity Photo (currently in beta and for the time being Apple only) which could replace Photoshop: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

I like Lightroom, though as pointed out by others looks like the engineering excellence has been imprisoned by marketing.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:49:01 am by ihv »

stingray

« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2015, 05:11:32 am »

Re File Renaming.

Aduke.
I cannot find a winning combination. Maybe there is a combination I have not tried yet.
For example, File Name plus Custom Text will retain "Edit",HDR" etc in the original file name bit, which I want to avoid in some situations.
Also, I may have created long filenames when working with Ps, that I want to shorten if sending to a client.
If I use just custom text I have to re-write the full filename, but I do want to retain the original stub and have to remember it and then retype it. What is worse, it remembers the text from the  last time I used it and there is a danger of apply this old text to the filename.

JJJ.
Brilliant... why did I not think of that sooner.

Getting back to the main point.

Lack Of Development focused on features for existing users.
F2 is the keyboard shortcut for changing the filename. Surely the optimum would be to use F2 and allow me edit manually the existing filename and then (if it suits better) to apply a formula.

In the meantime JJJ's suggestion will work a treat. Thanks to JJJ and Aduke.

Now, if the other ten items in my list had an easy fix.

jrsforums

« Reply #174 on: June 01, 2015, 11:20:00 am »

In terms of the comments that most of the new features have their roots in Adobe Photoshop Camera raw, there are reasons this has traditional been the case. Some (many?) LR users are Photoshop users too and there are PS workflows where the two must be on parity (Smart Objects is one example). I can understand why a LR only user might feel they are not getting a fair shake because we usually see new features in ACR first but Develop is ACR, with some features that don't even exist in ACR. If the ACR features are not useful to you, then I think it is valid to complain about that not necessarily what product gets what new feature first. In a prefect world, LR and ACR users would get treated the same and see the features appear at the same time. If LR got features first before ACR, the other group of users would complain so I don't know if there is a solution to make very one happy other than a release features at the same time.

No matter who gets what first, if a feature isn't useful to you, that's something to be concerned about. And with a subscription and the promise of new, regular features, getting said features that are of no use to you is disappointing. In the past, you could see what you're be getting for you money prior to updating and deciding if that was a good buy or not.

It's interesting that Adobe has shown a new feature in LR (DeHaze) rather than ACR so maybe they are trying to appease LR users? It's going to be a really useful new tool and of course, we'll see it in ACR if we see it in LR as again, at some point, Adobe needs the two to be on feature parity.

I agree LR6 may be the most under whelming update in it's history (LR5 wasn't far behind) and worse, LR6 is pretty buggy in areas I'm surprised were not detected prior to release.

+1
John

ButchM

« Reply #175 on: June 01, 2015, 01:24:51 pm »

Hopefully we start to see more competitors, some areas are being covered:

Yes there are several viable alternatives to many of Adobe's CC apps with the exception of Lightroom. From a workflow standpoint, currently there are no other options that can match the simplicity and ease of use that Lr can offer when going from import to delivered product. Since the abandonment of Aperture by Apple, there really isn't much choice. There also doesn't seem to be any fledgling enterprising folk looking to enter the fray at this point either.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up