Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 5Ds Dynamic range--any accurate information not just speculation??  (Read 36546 times)

hjulenissen

Re: Canon 5Ds Dynamic range--any accurate information not just speculation??
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2015, 03:41:52 pm »

If I shoot three times vs one on the Nikon, the little Canon easily outperforms the FF body.
But capturing and processing brackets is fiddly compared with regular camera operation.

If the scene and your effort allows 3 shots, then the Nikon user might spend those 3 shots to do a high resolution/wide angle stitch. If the Canon user wants to do both high DR and pano, she would have to do 3x3=9 shots.

DR is like resolution, even if you seldom needs it, is does not hurt. When you actually need it, having it natively is a heck of a lot more ergonoic than having to use band-aids.

-h

one iota

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2015, 10:26:32 pm »

But capturing and processing brackets is fiddly compared with regular camera operation.

If the scene and your effort allows 3 shots, then the Nikon user might spend those 3 shots to do a high resolution/wide angle stitch. If the Canon user wants to do both high DR and pano, she would have to do 3x3=9 shots.

DR is like resolution, even if you seldom needs it, is does not hurt. When you actually need it, having it natively is a heck of a lot more ergonoic than having to use band-aids.

-h

I'd prefer to use the term "technique" rather than "band-aid". The term "band-aid suggests that the photographer has been injured and needs first aid to recover. Where as like all photographers we work within our means (equipment and software) by using techniques and equipment that suit our purposes to maximise the outcome with minimal risk of failure.

In my case, to use your example, the time and effort required to take nine shots and then process them (execution) is miniscule compared with the time and effort required to implement (plan, travel, make a cup of coffee, turn on the computer etc. etc.)

So maximum sensor DR is a nice idea but when all else is considered it is only that: a nice idea but not essential.

:)

« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:58:54 pm by one iota »
Mahn England

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2015, 12:21:46 am »

So maximum sensor DR is a nice idea but when all else is considered it is only that: a nice idea but not essential.

Just like stitching, HDR is not applicable to all scenes. At least as far as I remember, because I haven't had to use the technique for 5-6 years now.

If you shoot on a regular basis wide DR scenes with moving objects, using a high DR camera is a no brainer.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:24:29 am by BernardLanguillier »

one iota

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2015, 01:07:22 am »

Just like stitching, HDR is not applicable to all scenes. At least as far as I remember, because I haven't had to use the technique for 5-6 years now.

If you shoot on a regular basis wide DR scenes with moving objects, using a high DR camera is a no brainer.

Cheers,
Bernard

My comment was prefaced and qualified by "In my case".

As to the situation you posit: Yes I agree  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 01:22:22 am by one iota »
Mahn England

hjulenissen

« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2015, 02:08:32 am »

I'd prefer to use the term "technique" rather than "band-aid". The term "band-aid suggests that the photographer has been injured and needs first aid to recover.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band-Aid
"The term "band-aid" has entered usage as both a noun and verb describing a temporary fix. (E.g. "Band-aid solutions were used to fix the leak.")"
So my use of the term suggests that using bracketing is a "fix" for a camera with too low DR

In my case, to use your example, the time and effort required to take nine shots and then process them (execution) is miniscule compared with the time and effort required to implement (plan, travel, make a cup of coffee, turn on the computer etc. etc.)
Ok. Does that mean that you always bracket, no matter what? Or are there cases where you fire a single shot? If so, what if that image happens to be a great shot, but highlights were slightly clipped or shadows are a bit noisy for your taste?

I find that family pictures at the beach in harsh light is challenging. I don't want to blow detail in sky (or even the sun in the frame), but peoples faces can be very dark, especially if they are in deep shade. One or more powerful external flashes helps, but are not really what you want to bring along. Doing 3 brackets of every image would be annoying and movement would make HDR challenging. If some camera magically can give me 2 stops or so of less shadow noise in this scene, it seems like having something for nothing.

I am not depending on a camera for bread on my table. Nothing is essential.

DR is one fundamental aspect of digital cameras/sensors, just like spatial resolution and color characteristics. If you don't need state-of-the-art, then good for you, then you have more flexibility in choosing a camera (or keeping your old one).

-h
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:17:54 am by hjulenissen »

one iota

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2015, 03:31:51 am »

h

I'm not arguing with you or your position!

All I am saying (for those who have dropped in on this conversation) is that each of us has different technical and aesthetic needs in this broad church called photography. I use different cameras lenses and techniques for different needs. It's like choosing which saw to use when you are given a piece of wood to cut.

Please don't take me too seriously!  ;D

(PS I do understand the common usage of the term "Band-Aid": my tongue was planted firmly in my cheek when I wrote that bit)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 03:47:49 am by one iota »
Mahn England
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up