Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations for IR conversion?  (Read 6119 times)

Lisa Nikodym

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1705
    • http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« on: January 27, 2006, 01:17:41 pm »

I'm thinking about having my Nikon D70 custom-converted to have the anti-IR filter removed so I can do short-exposure IR.  I know there are a number of places that will do this, but I have no idea which ones are competent and reliable.  Does anyone here have any recommendations?

I know there are more Canon users than Nikon users here;I'm happy to hear from anyone with experience with Canon conversions too, as many places will probably do both.

Thanks,
Lisa
Logged
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

michael

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5084
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 05:52:08 pm »

I had MaxMax do a 20D conversion for me and they did an excellent job.

I'll have an artcile about it online in a week or so.

Michael
Logged

Lisa Nikodym

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1705
    • http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 11:15:22 pm »

OK, I'll be patiently waiting for your article!  Thanks.

I took a look at the MaxMax web site, and they appear to sell already-converted cameras, but *not* convert a camera the buyer already owns.  Is this the case, as far as you know?

Has anyone here used any service that converts a camera the buyer already owns?

Lisa
Logged
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

61Dynamic

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1442
    • http://
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 11:45:04 pm »

Outback Photo has an article on IR digital. They got their camera converted by MaxMax (odd name).
Logged

michael

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5084
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 06:30:14 am »

The MaxMax site is poorly presented.

The do do conversions of exisiting cameras. That's what I had done.

They charged $450 for a 20D.

Michael
Logged

Lisa Nikodym

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1705
    • http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2006, 11:28:42 am »

Quote
The MaxMax site is poorly presented.

The do do conversions of exisiting cameras. That's what I had done.

They charged $450 for a 20D.

Michael

Excellent!  I'll wait with baited breath for your article, then.  No great rush, though, as I'm also waiting for my D200 to arrive, and am hesistent to part from my D70 until then...

Lisa
Logged
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

BryanHansel

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 369
    • www.bryanhansel.com
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2006, 03:47:29 pm »

Here's another option for you.  Someone recently recommended them and I can't remember who it was, but it was enough for me to go and look.  I'm also considering the conversion or just keeping my D70 for VR Tours.  I haven't decided yet.  Sounds like Michael's article is perfect timing for me also.

http://www.lifepixel.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=2

Bryan
Logged
Bryan Hansel
[url=http://www.paddling

akclimber

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 106
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 06:58:10 pm »

Quote
Here's another option for you.  Someone recently recommended them and I can't remember who it was, but it was enough for me to go and look.  I'm also considering the conversion or just keeping my D70 for VR Tours.  I haven't decided yet.  Sounds like Michael's article is perfect timing for me also.

http://www.lifepixel.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_list&c=2

Bryan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57012\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've also been checking out these guys (Lifepixel).  I've got a 10D lying around with a nearly new shutter that I may have converted.  I'd  be very interested in hearing any reports from Lifepixel customers.

Cheers!
Logged

gvanwesep

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 03:44:00 am »

A friend of mine had his D70 converted by Life Pixel and was pleased with the results.  It's less expensive than MaxMax, requires no across border considerations and they will undo the change for half the original cost.
Logged

eleanorbrown

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 637
    • Eleanor Brown Photography
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 10:47:16 am »

I have an additional question.  the only experience I've had with digital infrared was using an IR filter on my 10D.  Gave me some potentially lovely images, but they were somewhat grainy (even at low iso speeds) and didn't have much fine micro detail and lacked those wonderfully smooth tonalities that the 10D was so good at.  With an IR ONLY converted camera, do you get all the great potential of the camera at 100 or 200 iso (very sharp, fine micro detail, smooth tonalies, etc etc) but with all that wonderful light toned grasses and foliage, dark skies, and so on?  Thanks, Eleanor
Logged
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

michael

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5084
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 11:55:38 am »

Yup.

Michael
Logged

eleanorbrown

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 637
    • Eleanor Brown Photography
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 12:39:49 pm »

Wow...that sounds impressive.  looked like that was so from the images in your article, but since i couldn't see the actual original file, couldn't tell for sure.  thanks, eleanor

Quote
Yup.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=57313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Logged
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Gellman

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 122
    • http://www.jgphoto.com
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 03:32:35 pm »

I have used a 20D converted by Life Pixel. Fast turn around, high quality, and less costly than MaxMax.    

Life Pixel web site

John
Logged

akclimber

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 106
Recommendations for IR conversion?
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 04:21:53 pm »

Thanks to everybody for the LifePixel info!

Cheers!
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up