Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght  (Read 1616 times)

wagabundo

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 103
Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
« on: November 17, 2014, 03:49:12 am »

Hi

Soon I would be new owner of 645df (P25+, 80mm), previously I was using 35mm on the 5DmkII. I really like this focal lenght.

80mm after small crop is about 57mm, that's why I'm looking for a second lens.

the selection of wide lenses is not huge.

Could you advice what should I choose ?

1) 45mm (best one in my opinion)
2) 35mm (variable quality of sharpness)
3) or maybe fisheye 24mm ? high versatility, defishing, fisheye, crop. I read that this lens is very sharp.
4) 28mm (too expensive..)

Thx!
Paul
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 08:05:18 am »

A medium format 35mm lens has a eqvilant of around 24mm in a full frame DSLR and the 55mm medium format lens will be close to 35mm in a full frame DSLR but just a bit past.   A 80mm lens in medium format is considered a normal view as a 50mm lens is with a full frame DSLR.

Paul
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

araucaria

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 77
Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 08:06:19 am »

The 55 2.8 seems to be a good permformer and very popular, even the old manual focus version.
Logged

Doug Peterson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4220
    • http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 11:07:54 am »

wagabundo

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 103
Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 06:58:51 am »

my mistake, the point of my topic should be not how to find right focal length, but after which of these lenses, can I expect the best quality? I don't need to have exactly 35mm, I can be around that.

in this context, for example: should I buy 45mm or better would be to buy fisheye (defishing + crop)

which of these lenses give me the best quality around my favorite focal length?
Logged

Ken R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 849
Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:13:53 am »

my mistake, the point of my topic should be not how to find right focal length, but after which of these lenses, can I expect the best quality? I don't need to have exactly 35mm, I can be around that.

in this context, for example: should I buy 45mm or better would be to buy fisheye (defishing + crop)

which of these lenses give me the best quality around my favorite focal length?


Probably the 35. None is stellar.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:16:54 am by Ken R »
Logged

Ken R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 849
Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 07:16:06 am »

Also, Read THIS great overview of most of the Mamiya 645 lenses.
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 08:53:09 am »

Probably the 35. None is stellar.

I agree with Ken. Sadly Mamiya is a bit weak on the wide side. The 28mm is great on center but sides tend to show considerable issues and its a pain to filter, if you use filters. The 35 can be good but seems to vary a lot by sample. The newer D version is a re-badged 35AF. Phase claims that better QA is demonstrated during manufacturing. For the extra in price I would look for a used one.

The new 45mm D seems to be a good lens and I have read good reviews on it.

The old 55 AF IS EXCELLENT.  But it has a very shallow DOF.   It's light weight and very sharp.  The much improved 55 LS is very good also.

The lack of good wides is the main reason for my move to a tech camera.

Paul
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

wagabundo

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 103
Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 09:20:54 am »

is there any optical difference between the old 45mm AF and a new one 45mm D ?
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: Looking for FX 35mm focal lenght
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 10:48:40 am »

is there any optical difference between the old 45mm AF and a new one 45mm D ?

Yes, I believe there is.  The older 45 AF was one of the weaker lenses, IMO.  The newer D seems to have a much better reputation and from the examples and tests I have viewed, it's a better lens.  

They also reworked the chassis of the lens and gave it the MF-AF clutch, like they did the 80mm.  

Edit:  I am basing this on a 60 or 80 MP sensor. With a 39mp or small you will see better results with the Mamiya wides.

Here is one on ebay in the Mamiya label., same lens as the Phase One just different packaging and label.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mamiya-645-AFD-III-AFD-II-AFD-DF-Phase-One-45mm-2-8-D-lens-/231216896939

Paul
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 01:10:18 pm by Paul2660 »
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up