Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper Cutter  (Read 3292 times)

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Paper Cutter
« on: September 21, 2005, 04:39:28 am »

I need to buy a paper cutter with a 18" opening for triming 12 x 18 images. Is there anywhere special that you all buy from where I can order an 18" paper cutter, and which brand do you recommend?

I also think I want a guillotine cutter, not a rotary, so I can cut things like 3/16 foam core boards, etc. Is that a good choice then?
Logged

boku

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1493
    • http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
Paper Cutter
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 01:18:52 pm »

Have you considered a straightedge and an X-acto knife? Works for me every time.
Logged
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

howard smith

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1237
Paper Cutter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 01:49:11 pm »

I use a straight cutter on my Logan Compact for cutting thick material.  I use a RotoTrim for paper.
Logged

Dan Sroka

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 597
    • http://www.danielsroka.com
Paper Cutter
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 01:54:02 pm »

I have the same as Howard. The RotoTrim is pricey, but it's very high quality. For thick board, I either use my Logan (designed to do mat cutting) or a straightedge and knife.

Guillotine cutters are tough, because the action of the blade tends to shift the paper. Plus, I nearly lost a finger tip in one once. Yowch.
Logged

Lisa Nikodym

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1705
    • http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Paper Cutter
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 02:05:53 pm »

I had a guillotine cutter, and had trouble getting it to cut quite at right angles.  Don't know whether the problem was me (the paper shifting?) or the cutter (not assembled very precisely?).  Anyway, I replaced it with a Rotatrim, and the latter has worked far better.

Lisa
Logged
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

mikeseb

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 482
    • http://www.michaelsebastian.com
Paper Cutter
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 02:54:44 pm »

Let me add one more vote for going with the Rotatrim for paper and something else for thicker materials--I also use the Logan mat cutter.  A guillotine cutter sturdy enough to cut thick stuff is not going to cut very precisely on thinner materials like papers.

I think this is a place to go for quality if you can at all afford it. I have a 35" (I think) Rotatrim that is superb.
Logged
michael sebast

mcanyes

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 119
    • www.dig-arts.biz
Paper Cutter
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 05:16:45 pm »

A less expensive alternate to Rotatrim is Carl trimmers. Look on Staples website. I just bought a small one and it is quite nice. Rotatrim still is the best.
Logged
Michael Canyes
Nikon stuff www.dig-arts.

AHAB

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 8
Paper Cutter
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 07:17:56 pm »

Rototrim with the dual rails is excellent.
AHAB
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Paper Cutter
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2005, 01:22:06 am »

Quote
Have you considered a straightedge and an X-acto knife? Works for me every time.
LOL, you always make me laugh Bob. Yeah, that is a good point, but then I have to have a cutting mat and make sure I hold the paper perfectly still--which never happens for me.
Logged

dwdallam

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2044
    • http://www.dwdallam.com
Paper Cutter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 01:25:37 am »

All good experiences and ideas. I'll make my decision based on your replies, and thanks again.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up