Michael, a well done piece of travel writing and photography. May I ask what made up your shooting kit while traveling there?
Hi John, thanks for the nice comments.
For the Sicily trip, in addition to the new D4, I also packed a back-up D700, and four Nikkor zoom lenses, the 14-24 f2.8, 17-35 f2.8, 28-70 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 VRII. I also brought along the TC 20 E III teleconverter. I carried all this in a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW. I’ve now used this pack for several trips and though it weighed in at around 23 lbs, densely packed with all my gear, its configuration works well for me. With logos removed, it doesn’t scream “camera bag” and I regularly fly with it and one other piece of carry-on luggage without incident. I’d also packed my travel sized Gitzo tripod, RRS ballhead, and back-up hard drive in my carry-on.