I've used a ton of matte canvas, but never luster/semi-gloss/gloss.
What happens if you use a luster/semi-gloss/gloss canvas, and put a matte coat/laminate/varnish on top?
Does it stay the same gloss? Does it go solid matte? Does it turn into a semi-gloss, like if you pre-mixed the liquid varnishes 50/50%?
Do you keep the expanded color gamut that a luster/semi-gloss/gloss canvas has over a matte canvas, or does it shrink?
... My thought process leads me to believe you'd keep a gloss finish, perhaps turning it into a semi-gloss, and that you'd lose the addition to the color gamut if you were able to remove some of the sheen... I could be totally off, but I'm thinking we gain color gamut with a glossier finish due to higher light reflection and therefore a brighter whitepoint, and that *even if* you could kill that glossier finish, you'd kill the higher light reflection and just turn it into a regular matte canvas.
Basically, I have a customer who wants a larger color gamut than Breathing Color Lyve w/ Breathing Color Timeless Matte gives, while retaining a pure matte finish. Before saying it's not possible, trying to think outside the box a bit. I know there could be a matte canvas out there that has a higher gamut than Lyve, but it wouldn't be significantly higher. I'm trying to hit something closer to photo paper gamut, which I'm thinking is impossible while retaining a matte finish.