It was matte canvas, the coating was one of the water based Clearstar products. I remember being really impressed that a single coat could produce such a high gloss on matte.
There are a lot of controls for speed and such, but I think that ultimately the throughput speed is limited by the drying step and perhaps that might give too much wet-time at the roller for certain media. I am quite certain the machine could not be used for applying water-based coatings to any of the aqueous-compatible glossy canvases like Crystalline or Epson gloss or satin, because the long wet exposure times would lead to dissolving of the ink.
Well, my total exposure to the machine was maybe 1/2 hour. I kind of recall that he would remove the bar and soak it in a tray down towards the base somewhere, then put the roller back. Sorry, have to be vague. But he did something of that nature between each print on the roll, and then went through the routine of re-establishing the pour, etc. Maybe an inexperienced operator, who knows? Maybe he was changing the type of coating. But it all seemed like too much work and for me to justify that kind of machine it's got to cut down on the workload.