Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a chromakey software for H4D  (Read 3121 times)

evgeny

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 495
Need a chromakey software for H4D
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:11:16 pm »

Hi,
I tried various softwares to process chromakey pictures that I shot with Hasselblad H4D-40:
- CS5: is a time consuming.
- onOne Mask Pro: result is not clean, need be future adjusted in CS5.
- FxHome Photokey 4 (Demo version): works at full quality up to 25 megapixels.

I found the Photokey the most power and easy to use for chromakey pictures, but it not works well with big 40 megapixels pictures.

Please recommend a chromakey software or CS4 plugin under $400 that is capable processing 40 megapixels chromakey pictures.

Thanks
Evgeny
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:52:56 pm by evgeny »
Logged

paul_jones

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 574
    • http://www.paulrossjones.com
Re: Need a chromakey software for H4D
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:06:36 pm »

I would be keen to know what software to use too. Getting that green out is a nightmare in ps. Especially bad when it reflects in cloths or skin, or mix with diffused outlines like blond hair.

Paul
Logged
check my new website
[url=http://www.pau

michele

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 230
Re: Need a chromakey software for H4D
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:15:31 am »

Photoshop is very poor in this task... Video composit software like Nuke are far better... but you still have problems with file size and they cost a lot just for a chroma key software...
I'm interested too on knowing some easy way for doing chroma key with photoshop or with plug-ins. But, why do you need a chroma key?

Pantoned

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 99
    • http://www.arnauanglada.com/
Re: Need a chromakey software for H4D
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:23:04 pm »

I try to never  use green screen, my rule of thumb is:
           a ) If the planned background is going to be brighter than subject, shot on white, and multiply background over subject.
           b) If the planned background is going to be darker than subject, shot on medium gray and put background on top in hard light blending mode.

That said, I found myself several times in situations where the art director had no clue about what the background was going to be..... in this cases the best plugin I ever seen, but that sadly is out of production, is Ultimatte advantedge. It is a nice piece of software, a little stepper to learn but with solid foundations coming from the video industry. Great spill remover, nice hair differentation etc...
There are a lot of others plugins in the industry ( Digital anarchy primatte chromakey, Vertus fluidmask, Cinematte, DFT Zmatte, Recomposit..) but I can't say for sure they will work with such big files. The only other plugin I used was Knock Out, another great software coming from the video industry that was destroyed by corel. It is still a great tool but since the last versions of photoshop I find I can go on without them.

Yet, the best way to get rid of chroma is still photoshop manual work with channels and blendings. But we all knew that didn't we?.
Logged
---------------------------------------

fredjeang

  • Guest
Re: Need a chromakey software for H4D
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 02:03:55 pm »

The Ultimatte Keyer in Nuke is extremely good. You could use Nuke but just for keying it is overkill and out of question for a reasonably priced solutions. I did 35000x35000 pixels PSD file in Nuke perfectly. Don't know its limit, it seems that it does not have resolution limits.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn0VyB-UDLo
After Effect could work in conjunction with PS within the suite.

PS tools for keying are working, it's only longuer than with compositing softwares. You have to work with the channels to do an advance keying in PS. I recommend to find tutorials on the "calculations" (image/calculations) but as you point it's time consuming. Unfortunatly, good solutions are generally expensive.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:40:56 pm by fredjeang »
Logged

Chris Gahran

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 32
Re: Need a chromakey software for H4D
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 08:02:46 pm »

After reviewing Ultimatte's website (http://ultimatte.com/) it appears they have dropped Plug-Ins for Photoshop. They had a $500.00 plug-in for Photoshop that offered a trial demo (now gone) which I tested a year ago and it worked very well against a white background which they did not recommend. (They only recommended using green or blue.)

Now it's NUKE. What computer platform does NUKE require, operating version and what machine requirements such as processor speed, CPU cores, and RAM?

Thanks...
Logged

Steve Weldon

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1479
    • Bangkok Images
Re: Need a chromakey software for H4D
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 03:29:30 am »

After reviewing Ultimatte's website (http://ultimatte.com/) it appears they have dropped Plug-Ins for Photoshop. They had a $500.00 plug-in for Photoshop that offered a trial demo (now gone) which I tested a year ago and it worked very well against a white background which they did not recommend. (They only recommended using green or blue.)

Now it's NUKE. What computer platform does NUKE require, operating version and what machine requirements such as processor speed, CPU cores, and RAM?

Thanks...
This is sad.. I've been using Ultimate for 8-9 years now and still do. It's a great package.  Just recently I grabbed the newest version off their site.. about 3 weeks ago I think.
Logged
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

G_Allen

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 140
    • http://www.plasticimage.com
Re: Need a chromakey software for H4D
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 11:07:47 am »

Has anyone tried these?

Fluid Mask
Mask Pro
Primatte

http://johnyonko.wordpress.com/2007/03/29/fluid-mask-vs-mask-pro-vs-primatte-round-4th-maybe-final/

I'm very interested in finding a solution that works for high-res images.
Logged

design_freak

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1128
Re: Need a chromakey software for H4D
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 07:25:18 am »

Logged
Best regards,
DF
Pages: [1]   Go Up