Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autopano Giga 2.5 RC  (Read 2141 times)

BernardLanguillier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13980
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Autopano Giga 2.5 RC
« on: January 03, 2011, 08:45:15 pm »

Dear Stitchers,

I have been using pretty extensively Autopano Giga 2.5 RC and I am very impressed so far. The speed is amazing, it can typically complete a 300 megapixel pano from 23 D3x images in about 6 mins end to end with less than 10 users clicks (everything was fully automated). This test was performed with the highest possible quality settings.

- opening of 23 150 Mb 16 bits tiff files (from external SCSI320 Raid 5 unit): 20 sec
- pre-processing (control point matching and projection): less than 2 mins
- rendering and saving of resulting 4.8 GB 16 bits tiff file (to same external raid unit): 3:30 mins
-> total time: less than 6 mins.

This is on a 3.5 years old Mac pro with 8 cores and 32 GB ram. The cores matter since APG is able to use 4 of them during anti-ghosting and all 8 during blending.

A small version of the image can be seen behind the link below. I have been unable to find any issue with ghosting on this averagely challenging image (there was very little wind).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/5320072238/sizes/o/

I consider 6 mins to be negligible in a typical workflow towards a final high quality printable image for fine art applications.

For what it is worth, PTgui Pro 9.0 is also much improved compared to previous releases and I would advice anybody serious about stitching to try both.

For either of these softwares, I don't know any other way to spend so little money so well in any other area of photography. :)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:54:52 pm by BernardLanguillier »
Logged

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Autopano Giga 2.5 RC
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 04:41:34 am »

Bernard,
Thanks for your update. I am still showing 2.0.9 on my Autopano Giga registration. My updater says I have the latest. I see you have the rc version so I may have to go to the site to get this latest version?
Not to hijack your thread but you may know the answer to this question. In Lightroom I have APG as an external editor. When exporting a set of images to APG for processing they export to APG all in seperate windows. If I send 9 images they open in 9 seperate windows,I then have to drag and drop them all in one grouping before processing the pano. What am I missing?
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

BernardLanguillier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13980
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Autopano Giga 2.5 RC
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 04:52:45 am »

Hi Dan,

2.5 RC can be downloaded from a link in this thread: http://www.autopano.net/forum/t10740-autopano-engine-v2.5-rc-changelog

You will need a valid 2.0 license but it should be no problem for you.

I do have a LR3.0 license, but do most of my processing with C1 so I am sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question.

Regards,
Bernard

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Online Online
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Autopano Giga 2.5 RC
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 05:13:04 am »

Bernard,
Found it and have it downloaded. Looks like quite a few changes.
Time to start digging and see whats new.
Appreciate the heads up.
Thanks again.
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab
Pages: [1]   Go Up