Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baryta & traditional fiber matte  (Read 1468 times)

boru

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
Baryta & traditional fiber matte
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:53:59 pm »

In short, I'd like to know if there's a baryta paper out there (assuming baryta is my best bet) that resembles ilford multigrade fiber matte b/w paper, in appearance and performance.  From my research it seems that the baryta papers tend to be smooth, but compared with the ilford, still a little toothy? Save buying a true matte paper of course. Part of me would really like to avoid the whole matte black changeover that would have to occur on a 9880, and baryta seemed to open a new door of possibly achieving this? I like the bigger picture it offers as well, I will most likely be printing color in addtion, but the focus is b/w.  Any help appreciated.
Logged

sm906

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 130
    • thomas hintze fotografie
Re: Baryta & traditional fiber matte
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 05:08:38 pm »

I cannot answer your question in respect to the Ilford. Anyway, my experience with the Harman Gloss Baryta (was Harman Gloss FB AL) is excellent (on HP Vivera inks in my case), both for color and black&white. And no bronzing on the 8 ink HP-systems which are otherwise a bit prone to this effect. Your Epson printer shouldn't have any problems in this respect. Just give it a try. Harman/Hahnemühle offers 5 sheet sample packs for testing.
Logged
nature-architecture-panorama-fineart
Web hintze-photo.com | YT @thomas.hintze

Robcat

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 155
Re: Baryta & traditional fiber matte
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:08:20 pm »

My favorite silver darkroom paper was Ilford Galerie (used the Ilford multigrade when I didn't have the $$ for the Galerie). The Harman/Hahnemuhle gloss baryta just mentioned comes the closest to that that I've tried--the others are "toothy" for my taste, including the Ilford Galerie Gold Fiber silk (nothing like the darkroom Galerie), Museo Silver Rag, and Innova F-type Gloss. Lots I haven't seen, but if you want the surface of an air-dried fiber silver print, you wont be far off with the Harman/Hahnemuhle.
Logged

Kirk Gittings

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1561
    • http://www.KirkGittings.com
Re: Baryta & traditional fiber matte
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 12:00:22 am »

He asked "I'd like to know if there's a baryta paper out there (assuming baryta is my best bet) that resembles ilford multigrade fiber matte b/w paper".

And I think the answer is no. All the baryta papers are some form of textured or semi-gloss that attempts to mimic air-dried silver gelatin gloss.
Logged
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Ernst Dinkla

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4036
Re: Baryta & traditional fiber matte
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:51:43 am »


And I think the answer is no. All the baryta papers are some form of textured or semi-gloss that attempts to mimic air-dried silver gelatin gloss.

There are 4 matte fiber versions in my SpectrumViz list. I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Baryta aspect, the spectral plots of the paper whites show enough similarity with satin baryta inkjet papers. As I have no Multigrade around I can not say which of the 4 has a texture close to that analogue paper.


met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst Dinkla

spectral plots of +100 inkjet papers:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up