Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: backing framed print  (Read 2129 times)

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
backing framed print
« on: January 07, 2010, 03:03:26 pm »

I've started to frame a few of my efforts. I have a mat cutter and I buy nice aluminium frames, chopped for me. I hinge-mount the print to foamcore.

What should I use for backing, behind the foamcore? I'm using hardboard at the moment, which is fine but jolly tedious to cut with a Stanley knife and straight edge.

Is there something better to use, that's easier to cut? Or is there a better way of cutting it, for a reasonable price?

Any advice gratefully received.

Jeremy
Logged

Alan Goldhammer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4349
    • A Goldhammer Photography
backing framed print
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 03:13:45 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
I've started to frame a few of my efforts. I have a mat cutter and I buy nice aluminium frames, chopped for me. I hinge-mount the print to foamcore.

What should I use for backing, behind the foamcore? I'm using hardboard at the moment, which is fine but jolly tedious to cut with a Stanley knife and straight edge.

Is there something better to use, that's easier to cut? Or is there a better way of cutting it, for a reasonable price?

Any advice gratefully received.

Jeremy
I use foamcore as the backing and mount images on 2 ply matboard, with the cut 4 ply matboard as the overmat.  Images are mounted using archival photocorners and I find this easier than hinge matting.  With the acrylite glazing it all fits nicely in a Nielsen 11 frame.  The only caveat is that I don't print any lager than 13x19.
Logged

PeterAit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4647
    • Peter Aitken Photographs
backing framed print
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:34:31 pm »

Quote from: kikashi
I've started to frame a few of my efforts. I have a mat cutter and I buy nice aluminium frames, chopped for me. I hinge-mount the print to foamcore.

What should I use for backing, behind the foamcore? I'm using hardboard at the moment, which is fine but jolly tedious to cut with a Stanley knife and straight edge.

Is there something better to use, that's easier to cut? Or is there a better way of cutting it, for a reasonable price?

Any advice gratefully received.

Jeremy

Why use anything? I don't think you need anything behind the foam core.
Logged

framah

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1418
backing framed print
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 04:38:32 pm »

More foamcore.


Usually, the glass, mat,  art and foamcore package is held into the metal frame using the spring clips provided... which they usually do not provide enough to hold it properly.

If you don't want to use the clips then use more foamcore to fill it till it is snug.
Logged
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

fdi

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 57
    • http://www.framedestination.com/
backing framed print
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 07:21:22 pm »

In general, foamcore is the frame backing, although as someone else mentioned sometimes the image may be mounted to rag board or other type of mat board for increased archival properties (depending on the type of foamboard used) or to provide a different color in the case of float mounting where the backing will be seen around the image.  I recommend 3/16 instead of 1/8 foamcore assuming your frame has a deep enough rabbet. My company has a video that shows a typical mount and assembly of an image in a metal frame: metal picture frame instructions

Cheers,
Mark
Logged

Jeremy Roussak

  • Administrator
  • Sr. Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 9263
    • site
backing framed print
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 03:53:44 am »

Thanks - more foamcore seems to be the way to go. I just thought it seemed rather fragile, certainly when compared with hardboard.

Jeremy
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up