Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hoh Rain Forest, Olympic NP  (Read 2315 times)

new_haven

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 67
Hoh Rain Forest, Olympic NP
« on: July 25, 2009, 07:09:27 pm »




Thanks for looking -R
Logged

cmi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 492
Hoh Rain Forest, Olympic NP
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 02:34:03 pm »

I like the view. Its enchanting. This wild enviroment, the ferns, these central trees, a very nice place indeed. Good contrast and modified, but fitting colors.

What I dont like, at least in this small resolution it looks as if consisting of many small dots, and this is a bit disturbing. Maybe thats part of the look and works in big? I dont know. Also this nearly centered approach feels a bit odd. Dont get me wrong, its beautiful, but it feels as if something is missing at the right side, some counterweight or so. I somehow expect a dark big tree there. Also I tried a bit (not too hard) but it dont seem to get better with cropping.
Logged

new_haven

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 67
Hoh Rain Forest, Olympic NP
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:19:19 pm »

CM, thanks for your comments. I think you may be seeing some HDR artifacts where branches or leaves have moved between exposures.

My own feeling about this photo is that it has a crunchy, chalky appearance. Some of it is HDR and some is probably oversharpening. I'm starting to blend some of the individual exposures back into the scene hoping that it will smooth things out a little. -R
Logged

JeffKohn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1668
    • http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Hoh Rain Forest, Olympic NP
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 08:52:17 pm »

I do think it's an interesting scene; but the tone-mapping software has let you down here as I feel the result has that processed, digital look which I'm not too fond of. These types of scenes are really tough to shoot and process. Ideally you could come back under better lighting conditions, but I realize that's not always possible. Especially when travling, you jus have to shoot in the conditions you have.
Logged
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

cmi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 492
Hoh Rain Forest, Olympic NP
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:12:50 am »

new_haven, I dont mean single branches, i meant the whole scene. (Cant tell moving branches at this preview size at all.) To re-emphasize my opinion, on the one hand its a nice scene, and the processing fits it, but for me it appears a bit overdone. Or/also the preview is maybe a bit too small to appreciate the details.

Christian

Logged

new_haven

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 67
Hoh Rain Forest, Olympic NP
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:48:34 pm »



I'm still working on these. The first one has a base HDR layer with parts of the original 5 exposures blended in. For example, the bottom third or ground up to the trees is one exposure.





Same image, just another crop.



Thanks for looking. -R
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:24:57 am by new_haven »
Logged

cmi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 492
Hoh Rain Forest, Olympic NP
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 11:25:33 am »

I looked again and again at this one new_haven,

the original view IS undoutely nice, and I recon this drawed my attention away from the general composition. But now I THINK I know whats disturbing me. The trees (the main attraction), are cut off, plain and simple. If I where standing there, I would want to see whats going on in the upper half. I imagine a potentially epic view, but its just missing. (Although I guess you had a reason not to show the upper part.) So all in all, despite the nice elements and the processing, it doesn't quite work for me.

Cheers,

Christian

//edit: Or in other words, the lower part is well executed! It's just that the upper half is missing
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 11:34:30 am by Christian Miersch »
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up