Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf AFi on loan for three weeks....help  (Read 5270 times)

kirktuck

• http://www.kirktuck.com
Leaf AFi on loan for three weeks....help
« on: April 29, 2008, 03:24:08 pm »

Dear Esteemed photographers,  I've been a member of LL for a long time and I post from time to time but mostly I read and learn.  And most of what I learn comes from the medium format discussion forum.  So here's what's up:  I write reviews from time to time for Studio Photography Magazine.  Recently the editor asked if I wanted to review the new Leaf AFi camera with a couple of lenses and the 32 megapixel back.  I jumped at the chance and the Leaf people sent me the package with an 80 and a 180 2.8 Schneider lens.  I've shot with Nikon and Kodak digital cameras for years and years.  In the good ole days I shot medium format film with the Rollei cameras (still have three or four around the studio with lenses).  I may not be quite in over my head but can you help keep me from re-inventing the wheel by alerting me to the "gotcha's" of the medium format digital space and specifically hints about using the new Leaf.

The menu is pretty straightforward and physically the camera operates a lot like my old Rolleis.  How's the software?  Does is work well on Mac with OS 10.5?  Can I use my 40 and 50 from the previous (manual focus) Rollei system?

I shoot mostly people in the studio and on location.  I'm starting my exploration of the camera and back this evening.  Let me know if you have hints, stuff you want me to try, warnings, etc.

Thank you in advance!
Kirk Tuck
www.kirktuck.com

If you need to e-mail it's kirktuck@kirktuck.com

BJNY

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 04:25:10 pm »

Terrific you're getting the equipment for three weeks
instead of one or two hours which some reviews have been based upon.
I suggest starting a journal to record your every experience.
It could be an interesting read how easily you take to it all coming from no medium format digital experience.

Dear Esteemed photographers,  I've been a member of LL for a long time and I post from time to time but mostly I read and learn.  And most of what I learn comes from the medium format discussion forum.  So here's what's up:  I write reviews from time to time for Studio Photography Magazine.  Recently the editor asked if I wanted to review the new Leaf AFi camera with a couple of lenses and the 32 megapixel back.  I jumped at the chance and the Leaf people sent me the package with an 80 and a 180 2.8 Schneider lens.  I've shot with Nikon and Kodak digital cameras for years and years.  In the good ole days I shot medium format film with the Rollei cameras (still have three or four around the studio with lenses).  I may not be quite in over my head but can you help keep me from re-inventing the wheel by alerting me to the "gotcha's" of the medium format digital space and specifically hints about using the new Leaf.

The menu is pretty straightforward and physically the camera operates a lot like my old Rolleis.  How's the software?  Does is work well on Mac with OS 10.5?  Can I use my 40 and 50 from the previous (manual focus) Rollei system?

I shoot mostly people in the studio and on location.  I'm starting my exploration of the camera and back this evening.  Let me know if you have hints, stuff you want me to try, warnings, etc.

Thank you in advance!
Kirk Tuck
www.kirktuck.com

If you need to e-mail it's kirktuck@kirktuck.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192531\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 06:47:31 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

kirktuck

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 05:15:17 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192536\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

BJNY,  I don't see how anyone could understand a complex digital product like this without spending a chunk of time with it.  I intend to shoot it outdoors (cityscapes) in the studio to shoot food and portraits and even as a bizarre walk around camera.  I've got a pocket full of 8 gig cards and a couple of batteries.

If anyone is interested I'll post my findings here in a different form than the magazine review.

Thanks, Kirk

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 05:16:04 pm »

Kirk:

I don't know where you are located, but I would urge you to request from Leaf someone to get you up to speed with the software/hardware. I'm a little, well, I guess I'm not, surprised that Leaf hasn't already provided this.

I've written my own quick start tutorials which go out to my customers, contact me offline if you like - I could send them to you.

But ideally, you'll have someone from Leaf guiding you through this or at least getting you started with a thorough training.

Steve Hendrix
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

James Godman

• http://www.godman.com
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 02:10:48 am »

A battery goes in the grip as well as under the back.  If you're walking about, try and bring more than a few batteries.  Also, be careful not to accidentally change the aperture or shutter speed.  Dials move too easily for my taste and I can't find an exposure lock on the thing.  If you use mirror lock up, the camera battery will discharge quite quickly.

Great system though.  Have fun.
James Godman
[url=http://www.godmanblog.

flashfredrikson

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2008, 03:08:02 am »

Hi Kirk,
I guess there will be plenty of questions for you, I'll start with a few:

1. Did Leaf mention anything about the revolving adaptor, which sinar already has, to you? My dealer here in munich told me there will never be one, while other sources said it'll come...

2. Is yours also this ugly grey blue, or is it black, like the ones on leaf's website? Just played with one yesterday withe 45° prism, nice camera, but the designers must be blind choosing those colors and with the prism the afi looks even worse... I know it's about inner values, but hey, I'm a fashion photographer... ;-)

3. Do you also have the 90° prism? How do you like it? Can you reattach the back without taking of the prism? (like you have to do on Hassy V- Series)

thanks for the opportunity to ask questions to you and enjoy the cam,
martin

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 03:29:24 am »

Kirk,

I can't give you any tips since I've not got the AFi or Hy6 yet and still am shooting the 6008AF / P20 (which I think you and I e-mailed about a while back).    I worked with an AFi at the dealers and guess you'll be shooting with it in just a few minutes.  You'll probably spend way more time on getting use to how you like to convert the files.   Fortunately they open in all kinds of different software applications.

Anyhow please share your experiences with us and I hope some images too.   I'm still on the fence whether to upgrade or not.

Btw- saw you have a book just out and available on Amazon  -  will have to check it out - hope that does well for you.

Regards,
Eric Hiss
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:30:05 am by EricWHiss »
Rolleiflex USA

yaya

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 03:56:16 am »

Also, be careful not to accidentally change the aperture or shutter speed.  Dials move too easily for my taste and I can't find an exposure lock on the thing.

James you should plug it into Leaf Capture 11.1 and it'll update the firmware on the body (as well as the back) and that ads an option to lock the dials via the left soft key.

Yair

kirktuck

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2008, 06:51:52 pm »

Martin,
Thanks.  Leaf did not mention the revolving adapter but it seems fairly straightforward an operation to remove and rotate the back. Although an adapter would probably protect the back by dint of not having to actually remove it.

The body they sent me is, indeed, the ugly gray one but I must say that it grows on you over time.  The 180 2.8 lens mitigates any ugliness on the part of the camera.......

The camera was supplied with a waistlevel finder and the 45 degree finder so I can't comment on the 90 degree version.

It is funny to shoot with a camera that has a fan running inside of it but I must say, if they are serious about the operating temp range maxing out at 104f they don't work in Texas.  Instead of a cooling fan they should supply it with an on board fan for summer shooting.

So far it is easy and elegant to operate and the files are very nice.  More to come.

Best, Kirk  P.S.  I don't know who mentioned my book, Minimalist Lighting, but it sold out today, the day before it's actual publication date (Thank you David Hobby and Amazon......)  But thanks for the mention.  The publisher is rushing out a second edition.

Hi Kirk,
I guess there will be plenty of questions for you, I'll start with a few:

1. Did Leaf mention anything about the revolving adaptor, which sinar already has, to you? My dealer here in munich told me there will never be one, while other sources said it'll come...

2. Is yours also this ugly grey blue, or is it black, like the ones on leaf's website? Just played with one yesterday withe 45° prism, nice camera, but the designers must be blind choosing those colors and with the prism the afi looks even worse... I know it's about inner values, but hey, I'm a fashion photographer... ;-)

3. Do you also have the 90° prism? How do you like it? Can you reattach the back without taking of the prism? (like you have to do on Hassy V- Series)
thanks for the opportunity to ask questions to you and enjoy the cam,
martin
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192616\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

kirktuck

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2008, 06:58:18 pm »

I suggest starting a journal to record your every experience.
It could be an interesting read how easily you take to it all coming from no medium format digital experience.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192536\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear BJNY,  If you know your way around some of the older Kodak digital cameras I think you can navigate just about anything.......I've loaded the software and it seems to be quite stable on a Mac running OS X10.5.  I've shot some test shots with the camera and the operation is very straight forward.  (I am coming from three gens of Rollei film cameras.....)  I hate all the flagging options and what not in the lcd.  I think the simpler the better.  All the test shots seem to mesh with my workflow and color system so tomorrow I will start testing in ernest.  I am interested in several capabilities including the transitions of dark tones and the ability to render really nice flesh tones.  I will assume that the sharpness and resolution are right there where they should be.  I will definitely put it through it's paces and anticipate shooting thousands of images over the course of the next three weeks.  I'll keep you guys posted as I go.  

thanks, Kirk

snickgrr

• http://
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 07:22:43 pm »

Another person recently remarked about the fan in the Aptus, unless it's different than my A75, it takes about 30 minutes of working with it before you forget all about it.  It really never bothered me in the least, a curiosity at the most.

Martin,

It is funny to shoot with a camera that has a fan running inside of it but I must say, if they are serious about the operating temp range maxing out at 104f they don't work in Texas.  Instead of a cooling fan they should supply it with an on board fan for summer shooting.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=192748\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

BJNY

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 12:44:41 pm »

Kirk,

Now that you're on to reviewing the DL28

it reminded me of your thread months ago seeking feedback on the AFi
and resulting in http://www.imaginginfo.com/print/Studio-Ph...i-7/3$4159

Guillermo

kirktuck

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 05:58:20 pm »

It's interesting to me to use these cameras in a serial time frame.  At the end of the summer I had the opportunity to test the Phase One camera with the 45+ and the review should hit the first of January.  This camera (the DL28) is like the front end of the camera of the Phase One with the back style and interface of the Leaf.  I really am liking it.

Kirk

Quote from: BJNY
Kirk,

Now that you're on to reviewing the DL28

it reminded me of your thread months ago seeking feedback on the AFi
and resulting in http://www.imaginginfo.com/print/Studio-Ph...i-7/3$4159

H1/A75 Guy

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 07:10:06 pm »

Quote from: kirktuck
This camera (the DL28) is like the front end of the camera of the Phase One with the back style and interface of the Leaf.  I really am liking it.

Kirk
Ok, old post.

David
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 07:50:17 pm by H1/A75 Guy »

Graham Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 06:55:27 am »

Quote from: kirktuck
BJNY,  I don't see how anyone could understand a complex digital product like this without spending a chunk of time with it.

These cameras are less complex than the average DSLR, but there might be a few new things to get used to. As others have said, you will be shooting in minutes but it takes much longer to build up a preferred workflow with the files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up