Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shooting Tethered C-1 3.7.7 and saving  (Read 2389 times)

Snook

  • Guest
Shooting Tethered C-1 3.7.7 and saving
« on: September 07, 2007, 10:42:35 am »

Does anybody know if there is a way to shoot tethered to C-1 and have it copy to an external Hard drive at the same time, In other words save 2 copies?
I am always paranoid that during a session something might happen to the computer I have been shooting tethered to and lose all my pictures of the day.
Is there an easy way to have the capture folder kind of like Aliased that is copies also to some external source at the same time.
Thanks for any heads up on this.
Snook
Logged

JDG

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 103
Shooting Tethered C-1 3.7.7 and saving
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 11:32:47 am »

Snook,

Are you using Mac or PC?  I have shot quite a bit to a Mirrored internal sata drive on macs and it works quite well.   Although I do not recommend this if you have to use an external drive for the back up on a laptop.

Another option is auto backup software such as SynchronizeX.  Has alot of options and works pretty well.

Just make sure you dont capture directly to an external drive, this can cause major corruption issues.
Logged

Snook

  • Guest
Shooting Tethered C-1 3.7.7 and saving
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 11:59:07 am »

Sorry, I should have added more information.
I am shooting to a MacPro with 6 gigs of RAM Capture 3.7.7 with a Canon 1DsMII.
My main capture folder is to MacPro internal drive. And I want these to be copied to a external HD as Back up only. But I would like to know if this is possible right away. In otherwords when I shoot and it appears on screen, I would like for a second copy to goto an external HD as well incase during a session the computer dies for some reason. Maybe over paranoid but my clients pay me well and it would be a disaster if I lost anything as Models etc.. would be financially impossible to have to reshoot even in the same day. I know this can be done manually, but would be a pain especially in the middle of a session.
Thanks for your info.
Snook
Logged

craigwashburn

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 116
Shooting Tethered C-1 3.7.7 and saving
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 01:32:44 pm »

Quote
Sorry, I should have added more information.
I am shooting to a MacPro with 6 gigs of RAM Capture 3.7.7 with a Canon 1DsMII.
My main capture folder is to MacPro internal drive. And I want these to be copied to a external HD as Back up only. But I would like to know if this is possible right away. In otherwords when I shoot and it appears on screen, I would like for a second copy to goto an external HD as well incase during a session the computer dies for some reason. Maybe over paranoid but my clients pay me well and it would be a disaster if I lost anything as Models etc.. would be financially impossible to have to reshoot even in the same day. I know this can be done manually, but would be a pain especially in the middle of a session.
Thanks for your info.
Snook
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=137903\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

There isn't a function specifically in C1Pro for this that I know of, however, there might be some general third party utility that watches folders and mirrors automatically?  the built-in rsync program might do the job even.
Logged

erikhillard

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 59
Shooting Tethered C-1 3.7.7 and saving
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 02:17:19 pm »

C1Pro doesn't have such a function.  Personally I think instant backup is a bit much and I don't like my machine reading/writing to other drives while a photographer is shooting tethered.  Especially over the same bus (ie. firewire camera and firewire external hard drive) Thats just me tho..


If you really want that, test drive the various backup softwares out there like ChronoSync.  You should be able to find something that will work in the background to your expectations.
Logged

Erik Hillard  Running Pixels [url=http:

JDG

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 103
Shooting Tethered C-1 3.7.7 and saving
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 04:07:39 pm »

Sounds like your concern is hard-drive failure.  Your best option is to shoot to RAIDED drives in your computer.  Get two hard drives of equal size and mount them in slots 2 and 3 of your macpro hard drive sleds.  Use Disk Utility to create a RAID 1 array and put your capture folders on the RAID drive when you are shooting.  It will write the files simultaneously on both drives and if one dies, the other takes over automatically so you've lost no files.  Also since the drives do not hold OSX files, they can be easily mounted in another machine if the system itself dies.

I am in agreement with Erik when it comes to running multiple items over the same fw bus.

If you must use an external drive, Chronosync and SynchronizeX Pro are great options, but will slow down your system while shooting.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up