This article is filled with a bit of misinformation like:
Getting a print from Photoshop meant generating four-color film separations and routing them through a commercial press. Producing a single photograph could cost several thousand dollars.
Nope, Kodak XL-7700 dye sub (I paid $10K for one used) was released in 1989. A few "service bureaus," at least in LA, offered prints from Photoshop files.
The first version was 1.0.7 (I bought it at EggHead in May of 1990). I think I paid $699, but
maybe the price mentioned is accurate.
Photoshop was called
Barnyscan before it became Photoshop, too. I remember the late great Bruce Fraser had a copy and worked with the Knolls.
Yes, Levels was a useful tool, but the Clone Tool was really one that blew the buying public away.
And there was ColorStudio, which was also about the same price as Photoshop, and for a few years, there was quite a rivalry between supporters of each. CS had CMYK long before Photoshop. Like virtually every competitor to Photoshop (Live Picture, Xres, Specular Collage, you name it), they all failed in time.